Opening jpeg in Camera Raw

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by RickW, Sep 29, 2008.

1. I want to take a jpeg that has poor white balance and open it in PS3 using as a raw file so I can play with the WB in CR. I understand that this can be done, but having trouble skulling it out.

Anyone help me out here?

2. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    Use "open as" from the file menu (instead of using "open") and choose "camera raw" in the dialog that comes up.

3. The preferences can also be set in:
    preferences/filehandling/camera raw

I think that is correct but don't have PS in front of me..

4. Uh - I do not see Camera Raw as an option.

However, when I changed my preference for file handling as Kiwi suggested, it does open in CR, so I know that CR works. Wonder why I cannot see it on the File, open menu?

Thanks guys

5. It is under Edit -> Preferences and then under the unlikely topic of Thumbnails.
    It is the first option listed.

Don

6. Don - I dropped down the file menu and clicked on preferences. There is nothing that says "thumbnails". What the heck am I doing wrong??

7. My PSCS3 doesn't have "Open As" !!

8. Don which version of PS are you using? - there is no thumbnails in PSCS3 on my Mac.

You are missing nothing, I think the others have misread your post as it refers to PSCS3.
    In PSCS4 there are Camera Raw preferences specifically and still no "open as" except "open as smart object"....:wink:

9. I have set mine as default to open JPGs in Camera RAW so I can change the Whitebalance (and other things).

Edit Menu, Preferences, Filehandling, first option in the File Compatibility Box.....

original.jpg

10. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Pho...WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e41001031ab64-78ff.html

look under "Specify the file format in which to open a file"

Apparently the procedure is different between windows and mac.

11. It is in the Bridge preferences. And you open the file via Bridge.

Don

12. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    From Bridge: Control or command+r.

13. rcooper

rcooper

Jan 12, 2008
    elba,al
    Ralph
    Thank you Steve.That really helps.

14. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    No Prob, I figured that that would be the first thing suggested.