Opening RAW

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Chris C, May 25, 2005.

1. Is there a free program which will open Nikon's NEF files? I've only a few more days on my trial NC and don't have the money to purchase yet. I'd still like to see if shooting in RAW has any validity for my type of shooting and don't want to spend $100 just to find out.

2. Thanks, John. I'll download it now. I appreciate the help. Maybe, just maybe, if I keep at this RAW "thing", I'll get it down pat.............or at least understand how to use it.

3. If you search the Nikon web site you can still find Nikon View there. That is free as long as you are registered.

4. marc

marc Guest

use picture project, it comes with the new camera and it is a good starter program

what camera do you use?

5. tamachan

tamachan Guest

You can also use C1 (Capture one). For some reason, I've never really bothered trying this software (tried most) and I'm actually really liking it. VERY quick when it comes to batch processing. I'll end up using it along with CS for further editing if needed.

It comes with a 15 day trial for LE or Pro. You may even be able to to try the two versions back to back as they offer different options.

6. I bery much like Rawshooter Essentials from Pixmantec:

http://www.pixmantec.com/index2.html

I have Nikon Capture and Photoshop with the RAW plugin, but I always seem to gravitate back to Rawshooter. It's a great piece of software.

7. I very much like Rawshooter Essentials from Pixmantec:

http://www.pixmantec.com/index2.html

I have Nikon Capture and Photoshop with the RAW plugin, but I always seem to gravitate back to Rawshooter. It's a great piece of software.

8. Okay guys, I downloaded Rawshooter. I also downloaded and printed the entire instruction manual (72 pages in all). Maybe that way I'll be able to understand all this gobbledygook! (God how I miss shooting large format transparencies!) Who knows, I may actually be able to produce a halfway decent digital picture some day. I appreciate all your help.