1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Operation Market Garden rememberance

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Dutchwindmill, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Each year first saturday in September the city of Arnhem organize a rememberance march over the batleground of operation Market Garden in Oosterbeek.More than 150 000 walkers from all over Europe participate in this march to honor those who give their life for our freedom.
    Among the 150 000 there are some 2000 Scouts that join.
    Halfway the march the route comes by the Airborne cemetery where the troops are asked to pay a visit to a fallen soldier.
    I helped a good friend`s Cubscouts telling things about what happend during the batle.I can only show you the pictures,but i can ensure you the reaction of the kids was hair raising.
    _DSC5495.
    Hotel Hartenstein .British HQ during the batle

View attachment 248471
    Love this campaign hat

View attachment 248472
    View attachment 248473
    Only known Dutch Commando fallen during the batle

View attachment 248474
    View attachment 248475
    Amazed to see how young they were (some only 16 year)

View attachment 248476
    He was only 3 years older than we are.

View attachment 248477
    View attachment 248478
    View attachment 248479
    View attachment 248480
    View attachment 248481
    This kid (Gert-Jan)realy give us goose bumps.He was talking to the soldiers!

View attachment 248482
    View attachment 248483
    Favourite tradition among kids.Asking for goodies by the soldiers

View attachment 248484
    View attachment 248485
    View attachment 248486
    A U2 moment.

View attachment 248487
    View attachment 248488
    View attachment 248489
    A long walk makes you hungry

View attachment 248490
    View attachment 248491
    View attachment 248492
    Lets never forget.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2008
  2. Rob, thanks for sharing this very nice set of images with us.

3. Like they say "freedom isn't free" thanks for reminding me

4. Rob,
    I think it is great that so many turn out for this memorial. You have done a fine job of sharing it with us through your photos.

Don

5. Very nice job with this ...... thanks,

Regards,

6. I placed some more pictures to make the story a bit more complete.

7. Very touching, Rob. I've sent a link to this thread to a friend who's father fought in the Polish paras at Arnhem.

Ronnie

8. Thank you all for your nice comments.Now one week later i have read most of the comments of the Akela`s(leaders) from most of the Cubs.For many Cubs this was the first time they walked the march and didn`t know a thing about the history of Market Garden.On there age its a dream to be a soldiers once they are "big". When they have seen the result of this batle,they have second thoughts.I have read a story from a leader that had a Cub that when they come from the cemetary shot in tears and saluted a passing re-enactment group Red Devils who saluted back to him (darn i have missed that moment).Also most leaders did like the pictures of the kid with helmet,but never will allow there kids to wear any millitary kind of gear during the march.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.