Opinion on this e-mail I recieved

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brew, May 26, 2005.

1. Brew

Brew Guest

I'm trying to sell a Pentax ZX-10 and two lenses I have and received this e-mail. What do you think, foreign or not (outside of the States)?

I placed the add on photo.net.

here it is.

Dear Bruce,

i am mrs esther,i have keen interest in buying your item Pentax ZX-10 with Pentax & Tamron zooms, i want to buy it for my store that i've just open,will like to pay you through cashier check,please get back to me as soon as possible.
    till i read from you
    Esther

2. Be careful!
    Many, many scams out there. I get very wary when it is from overseas in poor english. In this case the Cashier's check could be false (probably will be). Tell them that you will ship once payment is fully cleared. Check with your Bank how much time is reasonable for you to be sure it won't bounce.
    Something tells me you then won't hear back from "Esther"

3. Well . . .

. . . you don't include the original ad, so it's hard to know everything that's going on.

But it sounds like English is not this person's first language. That may be putting you off, as well as the offering of too much information ("for my store I just opened").

Why not get back to this person with the terms of the sale, assuming that wasn't in the ad to begin with. If the terms were in the ad, I can see where the vagueness of the response could be causing you some concern.

But it doesn't cost anything to respond and say "Thanks for your email. The price is $XXX, and I'll ship the item out by [method] on receipt of the cashier's check mentioned in [the ad an in] your email."

Mike

4. Brew

Brew Guest

Thanks.

This disturbs me even more!!!!

Dear Bruce,

Thanks for your swift reply i will send my transporter to pick it up at your place,but presently is on a bussines trip to africa to buy some goods for my stores so i will like you to send me your contact address and your full name to me to prepare the check.
    till i read from you.
    Esther.

Bruce Landry <bhlandry@tds.net> wrote:
    Hello,

It is still available. Where are you located? I am in SE Wisconsin and am just curious to where I would be shipping it to.

Thanks,

Bruce Landry

5. It is very very fishy to me. I would not respond further. It fits a known scam that is rampant on ebay. the trick is you THINK you have money, but it is later debited as conterfiet.
    The fact that they want to pick it up confirms the likleyhood of a scam.

6. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    I am in a mail order business, I would not be afraid of a certified check. If you are uncomfortable tell her you will wait 2 weeks once the check is cashed. The first thing you should do when you receive the check is to call the bank and verify the funds.

Most checks have micro print so that you can not just make them on a home computer. If you take a magnifying glass to the signature line you will see that it is actually text not a line.

Ron Strobel

7. The notion that Cashiers Checks are as good as cash has gotten a lot of folks into financial trouble over the last couple of years. Here is just one of many web sites describing this new method of fraud:
    http://www.bankersonline.com/security/nigerianchecks.html

This activity fits what you are seeing to a "T". Run, don't walk, away from this type of actiivity as fast as you can. Until I heard about this I always thought that once funds were "verified" for a cashiers check that you were good to go, not even close to the truth as you can see from the link above.

You are quite correct to be suspicious of this.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I TOTALLY AGREE WITH BILL !!!!!!!!

RUN FASTER AND FASTER AND FASTER.

9. Brew

Brew Guest

Yeah with my luck they’ll take my camera sell it, the money will go to AlQuida then they’ll send some terrorists over to my house and force my 11 y/o to give them my bank account information.
    I just had a big red flag go up when I received that first message plus I’ve forgotten I had the add there its been so long. And who wants to buy a used film camera to open a store with anyhow (esp. one that’s not in big demand)?

Thanks for all the responses!! :)

10. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Bruce...pull up her e-mail and push the delete button. It's definately a scam.

11. Tui

Tui Guest

Run away from this one.

I do a lot of international business and the only way I would accept payment internationally is via wire transfer and wait 2-3 business days after the transfer clears, prior to shipping. I've even been burned with supposedly "safe" letters of credit transactions :cry:

12. Don't give in to scams.

13. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

As long as you can have actual cash in your hands before you let the camera out of your hands, you would be okay.

If you let the camera out of your hands before you have actual cash in your hands you will not be okay.

14. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    As a banker I must endorse Ken's advice. Cash rools - do not let it out of your hands until you have the spending in your hands from a reputable source. I wonder if the store is in Nigeria? Source of many internet scams.

15. Ken and Patrick, my understanding with the Cashiers Check scams is that even though you "seem" to have 'cash in hand" the bank can come back later when the check finally gets through the whole chain of bank transactions and then charge-back your account, the same as with fraudulent credit cards. Is this not true? I have been told, here in Washington, that the only 2 things you can absolutely count on is being handed physical cash directly, that you can prove isn't counterfeit :lol: , and US Postal Money Orders, as they had to be purchased that way in the first place. Am I mistaken on how this works?

I figure that since at least one of you owns up to being a banker, how about cheap longs for Cafe Members by the way :?: :?: :?: , that you would be more knowledgable than I.

Thanks for the info and education.

16. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I have had cashiers checks bounce before, one even one month after I deposited it. A bank can bounce checks at any time.

I've even had people try to take back their wire transfers to me. That however didn't work. SO in my computer business I only accept wire transfer's or western union wires from overseas. I don't take credit cards from non US issued banks unless I personally know you. There is so much CC fraud out there on the internet I just can't afford to take any chances.

As a result I do NO business with anyone in Singapore, Thailand, or Nigeria. Its nothing personal but I have just been burned one too many times. I'm not saying that everone in those places are cons, just most people that are trying to get your money or your identity are from those places. :)

I wish I had never read this thread, now I'm in a bad mood. I used to just trust everyone and treat them as I would like to be treated. However in business that doesn't pay all the time. I learned quickly that in order for me to stay in the black I had to not be as trusting in some situations. Its really unfortunate as I like to think everyone is a genuinely good person and is not going to take advantage of me or my company.

Its really nice to be involved with an internet community that is kind, of like mind, and honest. So far the Cafe has all of that and I commend you all.

Cheers,

17. marc

marc Guest

use paypal

18. This is SOOOOOO bogus it doesn't even deserve a response to the hosehead that sent it to you.

Do a search on 'Nigerian scam' and you'll find some hilarious sites where people have reverse-scammed these JA's.

JohnG

19. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    The description of cash in hand is correct. And US postal checks. Neither can be rescinded. Almost anything else a bank can find a way to welch on - the old days of banks honoring anything are long gone - it's right up there with the politician's idea of "my word is my bond". Fully cleared checks in confirmed credit is possible to defeat recall by simply moving it to another account (preferably in another bank). Quite honestly the banking system is so full of loopholes in favor of the banks that I am constantly amazed that the system persists. Check out your charges for an ATM withdrawal next time you are away from home - convert it to an interest rate and wonder how any bank could possibly lose money. Enough rantng on the downfall of the banking system....be careful and make sure the notes are not forgeries.