Opinions, Alone Together

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Baywing, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I'm interested in your opinions. Not from a technical or compositional aspect but more your emotional response, if any. Which emotion does looking at this trigger? The title is: Alone Together
    [​IMG]
    For those who may not know, they are a pair of humpback whales travelling together.....at least for a little while.

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I have looked at many of your whale images and have been quite impressed...it is obviously your passion. This image of humpbacks is a bit obscure...the dorsal fins are not prominantly protruding above the surface of the water. If I would not have read what they were, I would not have figured it out. When I do see images of whales submerging and their fins above the surface of the water...my initial thought is that it is nature caught in it's glory. The physical size of whales are seldom portrayed in photographs because the total whale is not seen...only small portion of the posterior aspect. They are truly beautiful creatures that live beneath the surface of the water...in their own world.

3. I have to agree with Frank. The picture is too obscure to really get a feel for what the subject is.

Gil

4. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks, the point is well taken. After over 70 trips in 2 years, any aspect of a humpback is instantly recognizable to me. Actually, it goes beyond recognition, there is now a familiarity there, even a sense of kinship. Possibly because of that connection, I feel a very strong emotional pull with this photo. Maybe knowing what I know about them, that they are solitary animals and any association as this is fleeting at best, forces me to look at some areas of my own life I feel are missing.
    Anyway, for whatever reason, I feel a strong emotional response to the shot, I was curious if anyone else did.
    Thanks for your honest feedback.

5. Tranquility, peace, harmony ..... as well as the oft quoted:

"Thar be WHALES!" best done with that Scottish accent we all loved so much :wink:

OK, I'm the dink, the geek, immediately recognized what these are. I'm off, in October sometime, to actively seek the Humpbacks that come in to Puget Sound in the fall. Should be a grand time.

Oh, I should add "Timeless" to my initial response to the image as well.

I like it......

6. ps. to my first reply

I would, I think, have the same emotional response even if I didn't know what these were. I'll show this "out-of-context" to some other friends later today, non-photogs, and see what they have to say as well.

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hi Warren,

I doesn't take much imagination to understand your passion for whales when one spends a few minutes looking at your Pbase gallery...WOW. It is obvious that you are dedicated to their preservation.

8. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Bill: Good luck with your search for the pacific humpbacks, hopefully, you will get to witness some of their behaviors. Fall can also be a great time out in the east (New England). If they have eaten enough through the summer, they relax a bit and get a little more playful/curious of the crowds who come to see them.
    Frank: Yes, I guess it has become a passion. They do need our help to survive, we need to clean up this planet not only for them but for ourselves. They are the largest beings ever to roam this planet, and have remained unchanged in appearance in the last 700,000 years.
    Jacki: Thank you for sharing your reactions and feelings. It may help to show that some people have very strong reactions to a particular photo while others have little or none. Guess that is what this whole thing called art is all about!

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi Bay,

I agree with you , bill and Jacki.

I have an image that NO ONE knows what it is. I have a great passion for dolphins and whales.

All you see is a ripple and a small circle of water where a dolphin has gone down and what the affect was after...:>)))))))) I will try to find it and post it for you.

thanks for the thoughts and image.,

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    For Baywing

I found it Bay.

No one I know, but me appreciates this or knows what I see in it regardless of explanation :>)))

Taken very early in the morning when I arrived at my work place by the river.

11. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    One of the most powerful things that photos can do is to help our minds return to that special point in time. Often, just seeing a photo of a particular place or event brings us back to that time and place with all the emotions that went with it.

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Bay,

I know I saw the Dolphin in the peaceful early morning. They are very quiet and gentle lopping in the water, as you can see by the ripples.

Yes very calming to me and brings a smile to me.. Especially an early morning view, a smile before work is welcome.

Thanks for sharing and commenting here

13. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Here's my dorsal fin pic:

[​IMG]
    [click to make bigger]