Opinions / comments please: Gitzo Mountaineer Performance G1227 carbon fiber tripod

Discussion in 'Tripods, Ball Heads, and Gimbals' started by Frits, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Does anyone here use the Gitzo Mountaineer Performance G1227 tripod (carbon fiber, with short column - non geared)?
    I would very much like to hear your opinions, comments on this tripod.

Thanks,

2. I had this one Frits and sold it to Pa. A great peice of gear just too short for me. I did use it quite a bit for macro work though. Mine originally came with the regular (non geared) center column which I replaced with the
    L-37? short column and sold with both.
    Dave

3. Thanks Dave. I understand the height issue. How was it vs. the Feisol WRT stability and vibration?

4. it was considerably lighter in weight and not as stable for heavy gear in my opinion.

5. Thanks Dave, much appreciated!

6. RForshey

RForshey Guest

Hiya Frits, you'd probably be happier with one of the 13XX series. A little bigger, and more stable...

7. Thanks for your opinion Randy.
    It is not a matter of choice. The bigger Gitzo's are just out of reach of my amateur (self-imposed) budget. I used Patrick's G1348 at the Get Together in Huntsville and loved it - just too much $$$.
    Now, I have a local good deal on a G1227. I'm buying it anyway, but wonder if I can sell my personal (very) heavy duty Benro or if I should hang on to that one for the heavy jobs.
    My max. load/reach is a D2x / Ai-S 300mm f/2.8 combination (sometimes with a TC, but not often).

8. RForshey

RForshey Guest

Gotcha... I think you should make an exception this time though, especially with that 300/2.8!

I don't know what the deal is that you're looking at, but every now and again a 13XX comes up on the for sale forum for a pretty decent price...

9. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Randy, you are prophetic! (No, I did not say pathetic!! - LOL!!).

I am preparing to list my like new Gitzo 1325 tripod legs and like new G-1588 monopod. I plan to post my listing tomorrow morning unless I sell it by a PM tonight.

10. Well, waddayaknow - I bought John's 1325 :smile: - thanks John! Thanks for the advice here all, I realize that it will meet my needs better re. load / reach.

Now, look for my sale here of a Gitzo carbon fiber G1227 in the very near future :smile: . Great for hiking and medium weight loads - a reference.
    Anyone wanting a head start on it, let me know...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.