Opinions on 24-120 VR

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Jeff Mims, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    I was really thinking about this lens, as I was ordering a D2X. With the $500 system builder rebate, it almost makes it a free lens. But at the last minute, I opted for another lens.
    Anyway, I'm still interested in the 24-120 VR, for a possible purchase next year.
    What subjects do you use the 24-120 for? How is it for portraits?
    And of course, the usual questions: sharp? , fast enough? VR make a difference in this lens?

Thanks

2. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

In have one and love it. So do others here that have one and use it. The 24-120VR is a great walk-around lens. Very versatile. I love the VR feature in general.

I'm buying the new 18-200VR, and then I'll decide if I don't need the 24-120VR afterwards.

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Ken & Paul,

Thanks for the replies. As it was, I opted for another lens at this time. (hey, I can't buy the whole system at one time..:smile: )
    I'll borrow or rent one before I buy it.
    I'm still a fan of prime focal lengths, but zooms have improved greatly over the last 15 years or so, and I'm definetly not antizoom.

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

6. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Wait for the 18-200VR to see how the reports are....

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

8. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Jeff,
    I have the 24-120 VR and I am very pleased with it. I was hesitant to get one because of all the negative things I had heard about it. My sample is very sharp and it also has a very useable range. I use it on my D2h and D50. The focus speed is very fast. I heard that some of the early production pieces had some problems so if you do try one try to get a late serial number lens.

9. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    I have a good copy

I also was lucky enough to get a very good copy. I am quite pleased with the 24-120 although I am looking forward to the 18-200 and if it is as good as some think it is, I will replace the 24-120 with it.

10. I have a 24-120VR, it works great on my D100, but not at all on my D2X. I ended up getting a 17-55mm for my main lens on my D2X.

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I cannot say enough good things about the 24-120vr. It does what it does very well and here's some pictures to back me up:
    http://radio.weblogs.com/0101365/stories/2004/09/07/photosTakenWithThe24120vrN.html

It took me a couple weeks working with it until I was satisfied with pictures I took with it, so here are a few caveats:
    * It is not a low light lens. For that you will need real apreture, not VR.
    * Don't expect VR to be a no-brainer. You must still hold the camera very solidly and pay attention to the shutter speed.
    * Learn how to tell when VR is ready, Wait half a second with the button halfway down before firing.
    * Stop it down if you can. The lens is quite good wide open at the long end, but it gets better closed down a few stops.
    * At any given f-stop it's better at longer focal lengths than at the very short end.

I find this lens is truely the anywhere, anything lens - I even use it with a set of single element B+W close-up filters with great results.

12. I'll echo what Chris said

It is a great lens if you understand it.
    The long end seems better than the short.

If you don't measurebate it and just use it you will like it, especially for travel or walk-about. Both my 17-55 and 70-200 will kick its butt, but at the expense of quite a lot of weight and size.

Against everyone's advice I took it to China and it served me well.

original.

Don

13. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Chris,
    Checked out your weblogs on the 24-120...very nice pics!