1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

opinions on 300 f4(non afs) v 80-200 two ring pull

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by DFP51, Oct 13, 2008.

1. DFP51

DFP51

Oct 3, 2006
    Primary use will be youth baseball and football, and with the 80-200 candids.

In order to slide the 80-200 past she who must be obeyed, I will probably have to give up the 180 f2.8 (which I love) so that is a big negative for me.

As far as the 300 f4, the only negative I see is the reportedly slow focus.

In any event, thoughts on the relative merits of each? I am a large fellow, so doubt that the weight of the 80-200 will be an issue.

2. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    The slow focus on the non-afs 300/4 can often be controlled by utilizing its very flexible focus limiter. Focus speed also varies depending on what body you have.

3. I think the 70/80-200 as standard in every sports/pj kit. If you don't own one yet, you owe yourself to buy one.

4. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    The focus speed which you speak of depends on which model of 80-200 you're refering to and which body you are using.

I gather the earliest pushpull models have the slowest AF which probabally matches to the 300/4.

For your use I would have thought the that the adaptabilty and F2.8 of the 80-200 would be better suited to your needs however. When I went through the same decision I picked the 300/4 because I wanted the best possible quality in the telephoto range (which I don't use much anyway).

5. Wileec

Wileec Guest

The Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 (I have current model) is a great and fast lens. You might get it and a 1.4x TC, which bumps it to 280mm/f4 and find that serves your longer needs.

I recently acquired the TC, but haven't had a chance to shoot with it and the 80-200mm, so don't have an opinion on how the combo compare to the sharpness of the lens by itself.

6. mcwong

mcwong

Nov 2, 2008
    Sacramento
    80-200mm af-s for sure

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.