Opinions on eagle pic retouch

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by cknight, Jun 20, 2007.

1. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    I took this picture a few years ago. I love the pose, but the lighting and colors stunk.
    I decided to work with it in PS to make it better. I wanted to spif it up, but still keep it realistic looking. I think it turned out pretty good, but I'm biased:biggrin:.

Did I take it too far? Does it look fake? Any suggestions?

Here's the original:
    [​IMG]

And here's the PS'd one:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking.

2. Chris, I think you did a fabulous job on this.
    What makes you think you may have over processed it?

Only thing I could suggest is a slightly different crop with less sky to the left.
    Maybe a square crop could work too.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

3. Peano

Peano

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, D.C.
    It looks fine! I don't think you went too far at all. In fact, you could take it a step further. I ran the shadow/highlight filter and that brought out a lot of detail in the feathers. Also ran a black gradient from the top on a blank layer in soft light mode to deepen the blue a bit.

eagle-1.

4. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Cknight,

Nice image of a majestic bird. Your retouch is subtle and keeps the natural look. The only thing I can see, and it might just be my monitor, is there seems to be a diffuse halo of brightness in the sky directly surrounding the eagle. Perhaps caused by the dodging tool ?

Did you take it too far...no way. Truth be known, I tend to go outside the envelope.

1 - Select sky and white out
    2 - inverse selection to select eagle and apply, shadow/highlight, burn/dodge
    3 - set curve white point on eagle feathers
    4 - hue sat/desat beak and feathers
    5 - increase canvas size
    6 - replace sky
    7 - crop

[​IMG]

Regards

RFC

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hey I know that Eagle:>)))
    I know that tree...hahahahaha

Good shot sweetie.

Shadow/highlights in PS should fix him rght up as Peano shows.

Send me the raw file and I will use capture 4.4.2 if you want.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    My Try..Tough to work on a small jpg
    Rather have the original

7. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Thanks Virginia. I didn't really think it looked over processed, I just wanted a second opinion. :smile: I'll definitely crop it when I'm done. I'll probably get an 8x10 printed.

I may try to boost the brown, since everyone seems to be doing that. I didn't want to push it because of the noise.

RFC - the halo is in the original pic (I think), it just doesn't show up because its so gray/overcast. The only thing I did to the sky was add a color adjustment layer and adjust it so that it didn't blend over the eagle. Everything else was done with layers and masked to only affect the eagle.
    I thought it looked kind of cool, but I may try to get rid of it and see how it looks.

Thanks Gale. I'm sure you've seen him before.:smile:
    I'll try adjusting the shadows to boost the feathers.

Thanks for the positive feedback. Other comments welcome.

8. That second shot was done perfectly!

9. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I personally don't like th excessive lightening of the underside. Something in the middle might be ok, But I prefer his first remake to the overcooked look.

What I am trying to say is, turning the bird grey to capture detail isn't right unless the bird is really grey.

10. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Here's version two. The biggest difference is the sky and it is cropped.
    I'm not sure about the levels adjustment in the browns. The the room was dark when I edited it. But now that the room sun is coming in the room, it looks kind of dark (but it should still be lighter than the last one and show more detail).

[​IMG]

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Looks good
    Nice job

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thats a tough location to get good light on
    In morning or in afternoon.
    Now if you can get the eagle to understand this:>))))))))

To be there at the sweet light turned i the proper direction.:>)))))

I got a really good one finally in the morning, nice light. Printed 16x20 on metallic...wowowowow