Opinions on Lumiquest Softbox for Strobism

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Skunkabilly, Jul 3, 2007.

1. [​IMG]

Hello all, I am getting caught up in all this strobist stuff but my photos usually involve boots and backpacks, and my lightstand + umbrella, weighing in at 4 lbs is a bit much.

Has anyone used this thing for off-camera work with decent results? I know it's a bit much to ask for umbrella like quality but what's the next best thing?

2. husawis

husawis Guest

Jeff - I use this quite a bit. I posted a photo in the Macro/Flowers forum - Chickory - where I used the Lumiquest Softbox. When I have someone with me, I attach my SB800 to a monopod - used as a light pole. The SB800 is set as a remote and I use an SU800 to trigger the flash. I also use the Westcraft Apollo Micro, which I must say I like better. I have never used either one mounted on a flash attached to the camera, always on a stand or pole. I would checkout the Apollo before you make your choice.

3. husawis

husawis Guest

One more thought. I have a Litedome made by Photoflex. It is 12x16. So if you need a larger size than the Lumiquest or Apollo this might be worth looking into. However, this starts to get into the portability issue. Maybe you should consider what your subject matter will be and go from there. All of these units have limitations and some are a bit quirky.

4. I have one, Jeff, and it will be a significant improvement over the bare flash for outdoors off-camera-flash work. Not as good as an umbrella, but much more convenient.

5. fjgindy

fjgindy

Jan 21, 2007
    Indianapolis
  6. gvk

gvk

Jun 17, 2005
    Mystic, CT
    I have had one for a few years, and my experience is the same as Greg's. The Lumiquest Softbox is way too small to provide adequate diffusion unless it is quite close to the subject. I occasionally use it for macro work. Bounce flash with or without a reflector card is the best way to go if you want diffuse strobe light that is more portable than an umbrella and light stand setup.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.