Opinions on small Point-&-Shoot

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ken-L, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I gave my Canon Powershot S-30 to my daughter because I don't use it any longer - it's too big for a "shirt pocket"....

So, now I have to get something really small, but that takes a decent photo, etc.

My brother has a Pentax Optio S 5i, and says it does a good job.
    I'm also considering a Canon Elph.
    Nikon too has a slim one, the Coolpix S3.

Does anyone have any comments, suggestions, or experience with one of these, or something similar?

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    The s4 looks pocketable. Plus I really like the whole swivel lens concept. Check out Sony's t7 too. Gregory, gho, has one and swears up and down by it.

3. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Nikon S1

I have the Nikon S1 which fits in a shirt pocket and takes decent snapshots. I like it.

4. I have a Fujifilm Z1 and although the quality isn't great it is okay. No doubt small enough for a pocket.

5. jln319

jln319

Oct 12, 2005
    SF Bay area
    My son has a Kodak v550. It's small, will definitely fit in a shirt pocket and it takes pretty good pictures. It's got 5mp also.

6. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I'm still looking.....saw the Casio Exilim EX-S500 - very small and the thinnest one I've seen.

Anyone know about it's ability; quality of photos?

Unless I find something "better for me" the Nikon S1 or 2, or 3, will likely be my choice. The S2 is slightly larger than an S1 but it is "water/splash-resistant" (a good choice in rainy weather).

7. Kat

Kat

Mar 27, 2005
    Kentucky
    Even though I am a devoted Nikon user .. I carry a Sony W-7 in my purse. It is small enough to fit into a shirt pocket as well. I absolutely love my little P&S and it's simple enough for my 8 year old to use it.

Kat

8. My 13 y/o, after a lot of diligent research and allowance saving, bought a Canon SD400. I'm very impressed....bears a look.

Smart kid I have here.......see.

medium.

9. A friend of mine (Joachim Gerstl a dedicated Nikonian, some may know him from DPR) once had a Sony Cybershot T3. It had an incredible macro function but was not so good for landscape etc. He recently swapped it for a Canon Ixus 700 and is more than happy. The results I saw so far are more than convincing, especially the Auto WB is fairly impressive. He printed some of his pics in A3 - stunning!
    I couldn't believe that such a small thing (smaller than a cigarette box) can produce pics like that.
    I already considered replacing my wife's CP5700 for an Ixus.
    Cheers

10. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Thanks all for the suggestions......

My brother (whose opinion has some weight with me; he's had a lot of cameras) has a Pentax, Optio S 5i, and he says, "I like it a lot, and use it professionally every week. I cannot speak for its bells and whistles as I never use any of them."

Reviews I have found seem to agree about the Pentax. This is a hard decision to make! I like the idea of the "credit card", thin size cameras, but worry that they will sacrifice too much in terms of picture quality and functionality, and I'm finding it difficult to go without a viewfinder because in bright sunlight the LCD's can become unusable.

I have had Canon and was satisfied with the quality, so the Canon Elph series (Ixus) is another contender.
    Each suggestion has merit and offers differences worth considering!

11. Ken,

Here's a vote for the Canon Elph series. I've used the S400 for a couple of years and love it.

The S400 Digital Elph is $199.95 at Adorama and I'm sure it can be found cheaper elsewhere. I believe Canon's newer models in the Digital Elph line have 5+ mp and use SD cards.

Moving amusement ride:
    [​IMG]

Dolphin swimming:

[​IMG]

Glenn