Opinions on the 17-35mm F2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Louis Champan, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Looking for a little encouragement or opinions one way or another about getting a used 17-35mm for use on my D3. I've been using a Tokina 12-24 on my D2Xs and D300, which in my opinion is a very nice lens, but want something for FX. Appreciate any input given.

2. I jusr bought the 17-35 to pair up with my D3 and it is just fantastic. It needs some stopping down to get the best out of it but what lens doesnt? i would not hesitate to recommend getting this lens to anyone. check this post for some discussion i had when i was deciding last week.

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=182005

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    very popular question... there are about 3 or 4 active threads on this right now here in lens lust, including a request for images made with the 17-35mm on a full frame digital camera. i personally haven't figured out how to search for just the lens name bc the search engine always says the string is too short, but if you scan the topics, they should all be within the first two pages, I think. See if this link works:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/search.php?searchid=1844704

i vote for it, even though i haven't used it full frame. once i got mine calibrated, i really like it. it works superbly.

k

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    I couldn't wait to get the D3 so that I could use the 17-35 on it.

I haven't been disappointed.

5. NJDJ

NJDJ

Apr 15, 2006
    I LOVE mine. It is very sharp, even at 2.8. I use it on a D2hs...someday on a D3.

6. Louis,

You know that you can use your Tokina from about 18 to 24 in FX, right? It may not have the range of a 17-35, but assuming you have 24-35 already covered elsewhere, it is a decent and most importantly free alternative! That's what I am doing. :wink::smile:

7. grepmat

grepmat

May 5, 2008
    USA
    I have the 17-35 on a D700. It's fantastic on both DX and FX, and it's a very usable ultra-wide-angle on FX. I mostly stop it down to f/5.6 or f/8 for maximum sharpness and uniformity.

8. Thanks everyone for all of you input, it is greatly appreciated and has helped me.

9. Louie, you can borrow mine if you want to test it. It is a pretty good copy and I really love it's performance