Opinions on the Epson P-2000 please?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Retief, Dec 22, 2005.

1. I have a fellow who wants to give me one of these in partial trade for my D2H. Anybody have any experience with them? Am I making a mistake if I take it? I have asked him a couple of times about battery life and have not gotten a response, is it bad? Is the thing worth the nearly $400 he says it is?

Thanks,

2. RForshey

RForshey Guest

If you spend extended periods in the field, the P2000 is almost essential! I will typically be in the field for several days, and I back up my CFs everynight to the P2000. So for me, I wouldn't be without one. The unit was $500 new..

3. I love mine. Took it on a 2.5 week trip to Alaska this past summer. It worked like a champ. Battery life is very good depending on how much chimping you do with it.

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. RForshey

RForshey Guest

Paul is correct. I didn't go into all of the details, but I also bring along a notebook, a DC/AC converter and a portable hard drive. My regimen is as follows:

First, I have six 4 Gig CFs. Each night, I upload my CFs to the P2000, to my notebook's hard drive and to the portable hard drive. The CFs are then put to the "rear of the line". I don't re-format the CF until it goes back into the camera per normal rotation. Typically, I have the images in 4 places.

I follow this procedure whether the CF is full or not. So each day's images are always backed up by that evening.

I have the P2000 and two extra batteries. I have to admit I don't use the P2000 for "chimping" as it is way too slow going through the images (D2x).

6. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

Battery power very very good.
    Epson has a new one with a larger drive.
    $400 used is too high. Should be more like #250 max.
    Of course it all depends on you asking price value.

Birger

7. I just purchased one from a member of this forum and it is wonderful. The screen is fantastic. It also puts out a nice slide show to TV that was helpful at a recent family gathering. Get it you will like it.

8. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    It has a great screen and good drive size, the Epson P4000 that is out now has an 80GB drive. I used mine to cover my move for the UK to the USA and a nice vacation at Yellowstone. I have had zero problems with it.

9. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Check InkJetArt

Bill,

InkJetArt is selling them new for $449 plus a $50 rebate from Epson. See it at http://www.inkjetart.com/p2000. I think they are closing at noon tomorrow for inventory.

10. Thanks, all, I thought that what he wanted for this was quite high, so I didn't go for the deal anyway. But this information is really useful, thanks. As noted, the new unit has a larger hard drive. Can you swap the harddrives in the unit? For instance, if I bought a P2000 could I then, at a later date, open the case and install a larger drive? Does it understand NEF or just the embedded JPG? I'd guess just the embedded, not a big deal really.

I certainly agree with the philosophy of "never leave in one place only", and I use the "rotating CF card" method as well. Although occasionally I find that I can confuse myself by having similar images on a card I last used a "week ago" :eek: , but it is easy to figure that one out.

I am still trying to decide what the "best" method is for me. Currently I carry 11 1gb cards which has been sufficient for any day, buy now that I have a D200 instead of a D2H I may start having "space issues", the next couple of weeks will tell.

Thanks again for the info, as well as for confirming the price issue.

11. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Again, InkJetArt

Bill,
    One of the techs at InkJetArt has produced a free video showing parts needed and details on how to swap the hard drive to make a P-2000 into a P-4000. If I didn't already have a FlashTrax I would jump on this - the lust may get me anyway. I have no affiliation with InkJetArt other than as a customer of their papers but they are a good outfit to deal with.