opinions on the Nikon P5000

Discussion in 'Non-Nikon Mirrorless' started by dmwphoto, Apr 18, 2007.

1. I am strongly considering a light compact camera for my Fiji trip next month to avoid carrying expensive heavy gear on that long of a flight. From my preliminary investigations, the P5000 looks mildly appealing. I would love to be able to shoot in RAW which it does not offer, but for what it is it looks OK.
    Any opinions or thoughts on this? I am hoping to get some of the waterfalls and scenics that I could print large upon return.

Thanks in advance
    Dave

2. Maybe consider an 8800?

3. What is that Larry?

4. The Coolpix 8800. semi wide angle to as best I recall a 10x optical zoom. Should be able to find info on it at www.nikonusa.com . I might know where you could borrow one.

5. I do not see it listed. I will try and google some of the specs and see what I see. Borrow might be good and thanks for that offer. I even gave some thought to looking at the d-lux like you have, not sure Aperture supports that yet though, do you know?

6. I have not tried RAW from it in Aperture yet. They have one Leica RAW converter but I do not know if it will work for the little one. Some of the AL pics were from it, shot in jpg.

Let me know. I don't recall if I have an extra battery for the 8800, you would probably want one.

7. Thanks Larry. I will study this more and get back to you. I appreciate the info and offer!

8. Hey! I've got the 8400, the 8700 and the 8800, too, just sitting here collecting dust. The lens is superlative on the 8800 but unfortunately the camera is very frustrating in many ways. That camera is what propelled me into the happy world of DSLRs. I became so frustrated with its small buffer, extreme slowness from shot to shot and its shutter lag that a couple of times I came very close to throwing the thing into the lake. It is just not a camera for any sort of fast action, and this is what particularly frustrated me.

One day I was going to a party and so took my beloved old CP 995 because it was smaller and lighter. Had a great time at the party and noticed how much more responsive that older camera was than the new expensive 8800. When I got home and ran the images through the computer, there were a signficant number of keepers, unlike any time I'd gone out with the 8800. Action shots, people shots....no problem. I thought about this for a while and realized that one problem was that because of the form factor of the 8800 I was trying to make it act like an SLR and of course it was not, wasn't meant to be.... The next day I went into Penn Camera and asked to see the D70. From the first shots I took with that camera I knew I had made the right decision....

Don't get me wrong: people can and have made wonderful images with that CP 8800 -- our Roosje is an excellent example of that. Some of her macros shot with her CP 8800 are exquisite. It just was not the camera for me or the type of shooting I like to do. While I do love shooting macros I also like action shots, people shots, animals and birds....and I just wasn't satisfied with the results I was getting from the CP 8800 when I tried to shoot those.

Point here being, I think you would be mighty frustrated with the CP 8800 unless you wanted to shoot nothing but landscapes and macros. The lens is really wonderful on it, though, no question about that. Many think that this was Nikon's trial balloon of what was to become the 18-200mm VR....

The 8800 is an older camera now, and I think that there are newer "bridge" or "prosumer" cameras which might fit the bill better for you if manufacturers have managed to resolve shutter lag and buffer issues.

If you do decide you want to take along the CP 8800, I'd be happy to lend mine, along with its sister, the 8400 (for wide angles). I've got several extra batteries, too....

Oh -- about the new P5000, I've seen some comments on it in the DPR Nikon Talk forum, and the reports are generally favorable. I haven't seen one in person myself and don't know how quick or responsive it is. Too bad that it doesn't offer RAW; I guess most of the P&S cameras are getting away from it now. I have the Fuji E900, which is a pretty good little P&S that offers full manual control AND RAW. Aperture is compatible with it. I don't use that camera too much.

How about getting a D40 or D40x? That would be a little more expensive than a P&S, I grant you, but it might offer you more possibilities and control in shooting situations.....

9. Thanks for that thoughtful input Connie! I really like some of the specs and size of the P5000 but hope to hear from any users of that one if I can. I participated in Ming's thread on it some time back but hoping for more info if possible.

10. I have used the S7c and it works pretty well. Does not do RAW though.

11. DABO

DABO

Jan 13, 2006
  12. Thanks Dab. Very informative link

13. Dave, the D-LUX 3, you have CS-3. It should work with them. And maybe by the time you are back Aperture might be ready for them.

14. Hello Dave.

I bought the Panasonic DMC LX1 last year to face conditions such as yours. Lag is OK and it delivers RAW files. Lens is superb, internal OS helps. It can deliver 16:9 ratio with a surprisingly wide angle. Only problem is the noise. It's hard to push the ISO over it's native 80 - good for outdoor. I brought a lot of good images from Peru last summer taken with it. It doesn't attract attention in its black body version. Its robust metal case is a plus too.
    It has been replaced by the DMC LX2 that sports a 10 MP sensor but without any improvement in terms of noise (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasoniclx2/).

There is way to force Aperture to work with its file converted into DNG format.

15. Larry, I was intrigued by that sleek little D-Lux 3 when I saw yours in Alabama and I also have been impressed by the images I've seen from it. No doubt that lens in there is superb! Do you find that the lack of a viewfinder is a problem for you? What about the LCD screen outdoors in bright sun? Is that an issue? The little Olympus 720 SW that I bought last summer to use at and in the swimming pool and/or ocean is fun, but one thing that I immediately missed was the viewfinder, especially in the bright sun when I had trouble seeing the image on the LCD very clearly. It didn't help that because I was at the pool I didn't have my glasses on and so couldn't see the images very well anyway! Just curious as to whether or not you've experienced many issues with your D-Lux 3 since it, too, does not have a viewfinder....

16. Christian
    Thanks for your input on this. I will explore that as well.

17. Connie,
    I just go wide angle and push the button. :)

It is hard to see the display. I just don't worry about it too much. I really like the 16:9 photos, work well on the AppleTV.

18. Thanks for your input and that link. Pretty nice images. So dang hard to make this decision!

19. To borrow one might be a good deal. The 8800 is quite a bit larger/more expensive than the P5000. The 8800 is an old model. Takes very nice stills, is slow as molasses and goes to sleep just as you are about to take your picture:frown: Forget about any motion shots, your subject is in the next county by the time the 8800 process the pic.

I don't have mine anymore.:rolleyes: