Opinions on this recent portrait shoot?

Discussion in 'People' started by Steve S, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    What I'm particularly looking for here are suggestions on how to crop, and or, finish off these 2 shots. Surprisingly, The WB setting of Kelvin 5300 was actually a tiny bit better for skintones than the (Whi-Bal) card's WB. D2X/50 1.4 lens used.
    original.
    original.
    Here's a 100% crop of the last shot:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2005
  2. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I like them, and the crops look fine to me. The lighting is nice and soft, but not too flat. Maybe cutting it a bit close on the left edge particlarly in the second shot, but the images look good.

I have found that using the WhiBal results in a WB that is sometimes a little too neutral; although I often use it as a starting point it's not unusual for me to add a bit of warmth particularly on people shots.

3. Wow. Those are beautiful shots.. I love her eyes in the second one. They just sort of draw me in instantly :)

4. Steve, these are some of your best. Love the color balance, sharpness and overall look of the pictures. The last image is wonderful and the mother should be thrilled. I may give just a touch more sharpness to the eyes and lighten the skin blemish under her right eye. Well done.

5. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Steve,

One the frst 2 shots I would probablly blur the BG a little; it is a little distracting. I would also crop a little off the top of 1 and 2. The third shot is awsome.

Dan

6. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    very well done

Her mother must be delighted with the results.

7. srullik

srullik Guest

Hi Steve. I liked the set.
    The third is perfect. In the other two the left side disturb me a bit - it's just too tight at that side.
    Other from that the lightning is very good and well balanced.

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks everyone, the big problem I have is that clients always want 5x7s. This choice of crop requires I bring it in tight at the sides, and leave a bunch of open frame at the top. Now, I didn't take a measurement of these, but having done it so many times, these are pretty close to 5x7. I will go in and recrop them a touch looser on the sides in the final crop. And Gordon, I redid the headshot, giving the eyes a little extra sharpness, and I will fix the little boo boo under her right eye.

9. I think on the first 2 you've cropped in too tight on the left. I'd try a much more severe crop on these, get the girl as big as possible in the frame and cut out as much of the bike and rocking chair as makes sense, they're not the focus of the images.

10. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    I agree with Gordon, This some of your best work.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2005
  11. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    You know, I'm gonna leave it up to the clients to decide how much cropping I should do. I know they like to show the props in the shot to show what the kid was playing with at that age. I'll give them a few different choices. Maybe a real tight crop, a loose crop and something in between? $$$$$$

12. Steve, I think you nailed it two-fold. One, it doesnt matter what we think, it is what the client likes and wants. Oh and wants to pay for :biggrin: Having said that, it was very interesting to read as their were some very good suggestions, so please dont take that comment the wrong way :rolleyes: Two, I echo the same sentiments that Gordon shared, these are some of the nicest shots I have seen you post! Please dont tell me it was with the P&S. LOL......just kiddin............ Beautifully done, it becomes a really big challenge when you are doing 5x7's , time to upsell, it wont do them justice!! :smile:

13. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Without a doubt that is your best work to date...
    That 3rd shot is wonderful.

14. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Steve.....

Perfect !!!!!!!!!!

Regards

RFC

15. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Steve, all three images are excellant...I would not rush into a changes, these are just fine. You nailed these.....

16. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Keith, Dave Robert, and Frank. We'll see what the mom has to say. I sent her some samples last night. These are "Nat's" (Natalie's) official 2 y.o. pics.