Opinions on this shot of Gosia?

Discussion in 'People' started by Steve S, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Had my 2nd shoot with the Polish folk dancer named Gosia, and this time didn't work off one of the poses I have on file. We just winged it. Problem with that is she's not a model, or even an aspiring one, and apparently I'm too inexperienced to get her to do attractive poses w/o looking at my references photos. This is the only shot I've edited out of a couple hundred. Would like opinions on it from a both a compositional and editing (cropping) standpoint. Personally, I don't think much of it, myself.
    original.

2. Steve I actually like it, except for her right hand. It looks huge. Try something with a tight crop around her head.

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    I don't see how it could look "huge". It's further away from the camera than her head, and I shot this from about 20 ft away @62mm. It's not like there's lens distortion or anything. Maybe it's just too prominent?

4. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    I don't care for the pose or her look in this one. Honestly the image does not work for me - maybe because it's you and your work is always at such a high level.

5. NJDJ

NJDJ

Apr 15, 2006
    You guys have got to be kidding me. You all are way too picky!

6. I like it Steve. I have to say I have always liked your work. Not sure why, but it always seems like the throngs are way more critical of your posts than many others. Maybe they are just seeing something I don't... not sure. Either way, you strike me as someone who appreciates the input. My only thought on this picture is that the background is so non-existent it makes her look like she has her hand in the air rather than leaning on something. Still nice and your model is beautiful.

7. Maybe "huge" is the wrong word and "too prominent" is better. Anyway, it just doesnt look right to me. Maybe it's because she is posed as if she's leaning on a wall, and there is no shadow around her hand to imply there is a wall. Whatever it is, that hand is the only thing that bothers me.

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Ya, me either

It's going to be difficult to tell her I didn't get any keepers out of a 3 hr session. I think I need to work with some experienced models for a change. I'm losing my creative inspiration in a big way.

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    For both of you, there were shadows on her hand that I painted over. Guess I didn't know when to stop! I do see what you mean about the shadows not being there and looking odd as a result. This is the 1st time I used my new "posing wall" and am still trying to figure my way around it.

Edit: Here's the came pic with only a crop and a web reduction, so you can see what it looked like before I painted the background.
    original.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2007
  10. I think it's technically excellent, but the pose isn't very interesting. It's obvious she's leaning against a white surface but there's no visual reinforcement of that fact. Adding the shadow addresses that, but it doesn't do anything to improve the pose.

Like I said, I think the technicals get a 10 score, but the pose leaves me wanting. Eye contact would add an entirely new dimension to this image.

11. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Yup, just as I thought, the pose blows. :redface: I have a similar pose in which she is looking back at the camera, but it's only fractionally better. I also need to put some colored paper on that wall and try this wall posing again. Boy, what I wouldn't give for a few hrs with a really experienced model that I could just let go and do her thing! I'd be in heaven!

12. Steve,

Back in the 70's I decided to try my hand at form photography. As an amateur, I certainly wasn't going to go out and hire a professional model. (that would cost too much money) So I started with volunteers................who were also amateurs. When two amateurs collaborate, the results are often disastrous! So I finally gave up and talked with a friend of mine who was a professional studio photographer and had a long list of professional models for his work. He recommended one who might be willing to help a beginner for a smaller than normal fee. That woman taught me more (about photographing the human form) :biggrin: than I'd have learned in 20 years any other way. My work improved immensely in a matter of months, with just a couple of evenings a week. Believe me, it's worth it to work with a pro. Just costs a little dough. Then when you come across an interesting amateur, you already know your half of the job.

13. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    I concur with Chris about the experienced model teaching the photographer. Posing is one of the issues that I deal with constantly. It takes years of experience to know what pose will work best for any combination of wardrobe, set, lighting, and model physique. On occasion everything just works, but most often I struggle and work until we get something that clicks. As my bag of tricks grows, it gets easier, but I'm dealing with 5'7" thin women. I cannot imagine the issues with the 'normal' population.

14. Interesting. I was planning on going the amateur/friend/family route, but this has got me thinking. Thanks to both of you for the suggestion.