opinions on wide lenses?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by cwilt, Jul 3, 2005.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Looking for something wider than 24mm. I prefer primes but not sure if I like fisheyes.

Advice welcome.

Yes LLD is at it again. :shock:

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Thanks Paul, and I will be careful. At the moment I am looking at either the 10.5 or the 12-24. Still there are other brands that I have not looked at yet. Sigma or Tamron maybe. :?

4. as stated you pref a prime...

14mm is what I have on my D2X and D1x no probs
    on order 17-55
    for sale 17-35mm AFS... been using it for a couple years... no probs- just want a little more zoom sometimes

the only prob is with the 105DC it does not lock without a back and forth motion

5. Lex Talionis

Lex Talionis Guest

The Nikkor 12-24 is supposed to be quite good, some say as good as their wide primes. I'm also in looking for something in the ultra-wide area, but I'm waiting to see how the new Sigma 10-20 performs before deciding.

6. Charles,

I have the Nikon 20mm 2.8 and the Tamron 11-18. Both are great lenses. I have also thought about a 14mm from either Tamron or Nikon. If you want to see some quick shots from these two lenses look at 20mm Lens and 11-18 Lens test.

I hope this is helpful,
    Scott

7. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Scott,

I don't know if there is enough of a difference between the 24mm and 20mm to justify it. There is a 10 degree difference in field of view. Is that enough to be noticed?

If I go with a zoom, I was leaning towards the 12-24. The zoom looks like the right one at this point.

8. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
  9. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I have been looking at this lens as well and have seen many reviews that say it flares.

10. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

11. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Nice shots. This is my first non-nikkor lens (after 7 nikkors) and I am *very* impressed. I would say this lens beats the AF nikkor 20mm f/2.8 at 20mm (but for speed) both in color, contrast and sharpness. [Of course this is a subjective statement :)], my only issue is CA, but capture 4.3 cleans it up very well.

12. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I will do research on the Tokina 12-24 as well.

LLD makes you look for holes in the camera bag to fill. :wink:

13. 12-24

Charles I have now owned 2 of the Nikon 12-24 lenses and I got to say it is hard to beat. The Tokina was on my list but the 2 things I could not get around- not a nikon, and the pull out for manual focusing being so different from the operation of my other lenses. I think image quality is comparable if those 2 things do not concern you. here is an image from it. I borrowed a 10.5mm and HATED it, I will try and post an image from that as well so you can see why.
    [​IMG]

14. 10.5mm DX

Charles,
    This is taken on a borrowed 10.5mm DX. I know capture has a tool to remove the fisheye perspective but the lens felt cheap in my hand and i did not like the 180 degree perspective at all. This is just for help in your decision and only my opinion.
    [​IMG]

15. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    I have the nikkor 12-24, and find it fairly small, light, easy to use (takes std filters, as opposed to the other brand), and a LOAD of fun. Oh, and it takes quality photos, too.

16. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Charles

I forgot you are on a prime binge :), nikkor 14mm or 16mm then. [Very expensive options :(]

If you don't need that wide, you should start with the 20mm nikkor :)

anand

17. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    anand,

Expense doesn't matter when you find a hole in your kit. :) After today I may change my mind on zooms and go for the either the 35-70 or 28-70. We were in a hurry to go to a party and I stopped to take a few pics of my daughter dressed up and changed lenses 3 times.

Maybe zooms are not as bad as I thought. Did I say that? :shock:

18. Charles,

judging by your profile, the 18-70 should do an excellent job, why use primes when on a hurry...??? :roll: