opinions on wide lenses?

Looking for something wider than 24mm. I prefer primes but not sure if I like fisheyes.

Advice welcome.

Yes LLD is at it again. :shock:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Paul, and I will be careful. At the moment I am looking at either the 10.5 or the 12-24. Still there are other brands that I have not looked at yet. Sigma or Tamron maybe. :?

as stated you pref a prime...

14mm is what I have on my D2X and D1x no probs
on order 17-55
for sale 17-35mm AFS... been using it for a couple years... no probs- just want a little more zoom sometimes

the only prob is with the 105DC it does not lock without a back and forth motion

L

Lex Talionis

The Nikkor 12-24 is supposed to be quite good, some say as good as their wide primes. I'm also in looking for something in the ultra-wide area, but I'm waiting to see how the new Sigma 10-20 performs before deciding.

Scott,

I don't know if there is enough of a difference between the 24mm and 20mm to justify it. There is a 10 degree difference in field of view. Is that enough to be noticed?

If I go with a zoom, I was leaning towards the 12-24. The zoom looks like the right one at this point.

D

dbirdsong

obelix said:
I too have the Tokina 12-24 and it is one of my favorite lens' that I own.
These are a couple of my favorite pictures from it so far.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

dbirdsong said:
I too have the Tokina 12-24 and it is one of my favorite lens' that I own.
These are a couple of my favorite pictures from it so far.
Nice shots. This is my first non-nikkor lens (after 7 nikkors) and I am *very* impressed. I would say this lens beats the AF nikkor 20mm f/2.8 at 20mm (but for speed) both in color, contrast and sharpness. [Of course this is a subjective statement :)], my only issue is CA, but capture 4.3 cleans it up very well.

I will do research on the Tokina 12-24 as well.

LLD makes you look for holes in the camera bag to fill. :wink:

Charles, the DX 12-24 f/4, despite all the rumors is an excellent lens!

View attachment 11434

Real Name
Dave Watts
12-24

Charles I have now owned 2 of the Nikon 12-24 lenses and I got to say it is hard to beat. The Tokina was on my list but the 2 things I could not get around- not a nikon, and the pull out for manual focusing being so different from the operation of my other lenses. I think image quality is comparable if those 2 things do not concern you. here is an image from it. I borrowed a 10.5mm and HATED it, I will try and post an image from that as well so you can see why.

Real Name
Dave Watts
10.5mm DX

Charles,
This is taken on a borrowed 10.5mm DX. I know capture has a tool to remove the fisheye perspective but the lens felt cheap in my hand and i did not like the 180 degree perspective at all. This is just for help in your decision and only my opinion.

I have the nikkor 12-24, and find it fairly small, light, easy to use (takes std filters, as opposed to the other brand), and a LOAD of fun. Oh, and it takes quality photos, too.

Charles

I forgot you are on a prime binge :), nikkor 14mm or 16mm then. [Very expensive options :(]

If you don't need that wide, you should start with the 20mm nikkor :)

anand

anand,

Expense doesn't matter when you find a hole in your kit. :) After today I may change my mind on zooms and go for the either the 35-70 or 28-70. We were in a hurry to go to a party and I stopped to take a few pics of my daughter dressed up and changed lenses 3 times.

Maybe zooms are not as bad as I thought. Did I say that? :shock:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom