Opinions Please - Business Card Design

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Time to get new business cards printed. Thoughts on this design?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is a self portrait I took in my studio.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Walter, in my opinion the background is to dark (black).
You as photographer work with light and colors.

The layout is perfect. Just using one font is very good because people will focus on you.

It's only a private opinion of a technical editor...

Kind regards
Klaus

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Looks very good except for one detail.

As a perfectionist I worry about that bit of white vest showing. If I was looking for a photographer I might well think that looks like sloppy work. I think you should do the photo again and find a way to avoid showing it. Please don't be offended.

I would also make the grey text a slightly lighter grey.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Also match size of your name and the size of your website name. They should be larger than other info. Think about having info a little further from edge of card too. Just a few points further from edge at top, right, and bottom.

Also consider putting caps in your website and email name, helps with folks reading and remembering it.

WalterRowe.com example and Walter@WalterRowe.com

What's your target audience?
I ask because the younger audiences prefer lots of bells, whistles, flash, and 'bling'....;)

Judging by appearance alone, I would guess that your target audience are individuals who are 40 and above in years....

Real Name
David
Clean and simple, but there are some good suggestions above, I might also change "High School Seniors" to "Senior Portraits".

Another thing I noticed, it doesn't relate to your site. Maybe use your site's background color as the card background and the blue in the header for the text? You have an icon that comes up on your web page, is that an old logo? Maybe add that back in the site header and on the card?

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Excellent observations. Thank you all for your honest, constructive feedback. Here is an newer version based on feedback here and elsewhere.

Agreed with all of the above comments except that some people like the white v-neck showing. If your target audience likes it, leave it. If not, eliminate it.

I'm using a terrible monitor right now so I can't tell whether the background is a gradient. A gradient would look a lot more polished than a background without it.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I thought "senior portraits" meant portraits of senior citizens (i.e. old people)?
At least in the USA, "senior portraits" is commonly used to indicate photographs of those graduating from high school. Of course, it's nice that it could also mean portraits of older adults, but few older adults are wanting portraits made of them! LOL!

Real Name
Andrew
Agreed with all of the above comments except that some people like the white v-neck showing. If your target audience likes it, leave it. If not, eliminate it.

I'm using a terrible monitor right now so I can't tell whether the background is a gradient. A gradient would look a lot more polished than a background without it.
background is gradient dark on the left to lighter on the right.

Real Name
Andrew
My only suggestion is, why the picture of you? I find it more memorable and more representative of your work to have a sample of your work on the card. I make up a few, one for sports, one for portraits and a third for events.

Then I hand off the one that is most appropriate to the client.

Similar to this, which are my sports cards and my blog card (front and back of each).

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
At least in the USA, "senior portraits" is commonly used to indicate photographs of those graduating from high school. Of course, it's nice that it could also mean portraits of older adults, but few older adults are wanting portraits made of them! LOL!
I learned something new.

Mind you I believe there is a growing market for funeral photography. It is rather like wedding photography. Often it is only at funerals you get to meet various old relatives and others, so a good opportunity for group photos. Perhaps in the USA funeral homes offer it as an extra nowadays?

Real Name
Andrew
I learned something new.

Mind you I believe there is a growing market for funeral photography. It is rather like wedding photography. Often it is only at funerals you get to meet various old relatives and others, so a good opportunity for group photos. Perhaps in the USA funeral homes offer it as an extra nowadays?
I believe that is still rather rare here, but catching on. The first time I heard it was from a friend of mine of Philippino decent at a family funeral here in the states.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Thanks everyone. Email and website addresses are typically represented in all lowercase so I will leave those alone. I have another version of the card with a “location” setting. It also includes me vs a client. I think having my own picture on the card tells clients who will be showing up or help remind them of me.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I think upper case in web addresses looks bad. It is avoided by convention in order to avoid confusion, as the part of a web address after the domain name is case sensitive, leading to problems in some cases if the user doesn't understand the rules.

But upper case in the name part of an email address is OK, so you could have Walter@walterrowe.com - I do something similar. An email address is never case sensitive.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I think upper case in web addresses looks bad. It is avoided by convention in order to avoid confusion, as the part of a web address after the domain name is case sensitive, leading to problems in some cases if the user doesn't understand the rules.

But upper case in the name part of an email address is OK, so you could have Walter@walterrowe.com - I do something similar. An email address is never case sensitive.
I just went through a whole stack of business cards. About 30% used a capital letter at the beginning of each word in the domain name....and it was a LOT easier to read and remember.

I am not of fan of the photo card. I think a graphic logo (embossed, raised, or foiled), with a touch of color, on heavy matte stock looks and feels more profesional. But if you wish to stick with this I retouched your photo and typography a bit.

What do you think?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom