Opinions please on mid zoom lenses

I realize that I need some faster glass in the mid zoom range for outdoor sports and such. I've considered buying used an 80-200 2.8. As there are several models I'd like if someone has any experience with focus speed and sharpness on the following lenses.

Nikkor 80-200 2.8 AFS
Nikkor 80-200 2.8 AFD two ring
Nikkor 80-200 2.8 AFD one ring
Sigma 70-200 2.8 EX HSM

Thanks in advance

I wouldn't look lower the the AF-S.

....but the final choice would always be the 70-200VR => Buy once and be happy, all the others might just be stepping stones....

Torben,

I agree with Michael. All the lenses listed are good optically, I think, but AFS/HSM make a huge difference for sports because of the improved AF speed. (I've shot soccer with both the 80-200 AF-D two ring and the 70-200 VR). VR adds versatility, so if you can swing it, that would be my recommendation. Otherwise, I'd look for a used 80-200 AFS, which is supposed to be as good as the VR in terms of sharpness and AF speed.

Good luck in your search.

I wouldn't look lower the the AF-S.

....but the final choice would always be the 70-FR => Buy once and be happy, all the others might just be stepping stones....

Thanks Michael. Right now the 70-200VR is double the price of the others. Strategically it is sometimes easer to take two smaller steps than one big one. :biggrin: If you know what I mean.

Torben,

I agree with Michael. All the lenses listed are good optically, I think, but AFS/HSM make a huge difference for sports because of the improved AF speed. (I've shot soccer with both the 80-200 AF-D two ring and the 70-200 VR). VR adds versatility, so if you can swing it, that would be my recommendation. Otherwise, I'd look for a used 80-200 AFS, which is supposed to be as good as the VR in terms of sharpness and AF speed.

Good luck in your search.

Thanks Dave. AF speed is an issue so if the AFS/HMS makes a difference it'll probably be one of those. I've many great shots with the Nikkor but I haven't seen any with the Sigma other than people say it's a good lens. The ones on pbase with that lens doesn't impress me much.

80-200 afs no question. I have the sigma and although its pretty good opticly the build quality gives alot up to the nikon. not to mention the horible resale.

80-200 afs no question. I have the sigma and although its pretty good opticly the build quality gives alot up to the nikon. not to mention the horible resale.

That means you can get a Sigma 70-200 for a bargain second hand. As good as the AF-S optically for half the price.

Thanks Weiran and Slappomatt. I see that you both have the Sigma lens. I understand you are happy with the optical quality. What about AF speed. Does it match the Nikkor AF-S. The used Nikkor is actually more expensive than a new Sigma. At least here in Denmark where prices on lenses are outrageous.

tojor,

Part of this decision depends on your camera body. If you're using a pro body the focus motor may be fast enough for you. But a cam900 motor may not.

I went thru this process a few months ago. Got to play with the 80-200AF-D two touch and 70-200VR on a D70s. The 80-200 surprised me with its speed but was still blown away by the 70-200.

I then decided that I wanted AF-S or HSM. I, too, couldn't justify the 70-200 price. That left the Sigma or 80-200AF-S.

The new Sigma Macro version had just been introduced and I saw too many people complain that the new version was soft for me to be comfortable with it. Couldn't find a new DG only version anywhere so I started looking for a good used AF-S lens. Finally found one and couldn't be happier.

Best of luck in your quest.

I would just get the VR if you have the money. The 80-200AFS, if you can find one, is just as sharp, but it will be used with no warranty and no VR. And you'll just trade up and lose money until you get the VR anyway like I did. There is nothing that compares to it. Nothing.

I've read that the AF-S is the same speed or even slightly slower than the Sigma's HSM, probably as it's one of the earlier AF-S lenses. However the 70-200VR is a lot faster, but then it should be at it's cost!

Thanks guys. You really gave me something to think about. There's a guy nearby with a used 80-200 AFD two rings for sale. I might contact him and try the lens. But being influenced by your input I'm leaning more towards the AF-S/HMS version. Although the AF-S is hard to find not being produced anymore. Or I might have to sell some of my stuff to justify the 70-200VR.

Latest threads

Top Bottom