Opinions please

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Andyc, May 6, 2007.

1. Andyc

Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    This is my first attempt at something other than animals and flowers.
    It's of an aquaduct carrying a canal over a small river. I think the composition is ok (maybe I should crop the bottom) but not sure about the colours. The photo in just resized without cropping or adjustments.

aquaduct1.

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Best regards
    Andy

2. Wish the water was running a little higher for you, to cover those twigs and mud. Really like the green in the bottom left corner, it'd almost be a shame to crop the bottom but it just might need it.
    Can't help but wonder what the horizontal shot would look like.

Very pleasing image overall, except for the twigs. Just my 2 cents.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well here is my vision.
    I like it all but the blown out sky.
    That could be replaced. or cropped.
    I care for the forground because I can see me tromping over the rocks to water and looking for things that may be in the forground:>))))
    Another thing I like is the water is NOT smooth. So I can see and hear it:>))
    Like a little adventure:>))

Boy don't we all see diffeent:>))))

Nice image

4. Nice rural shot but the foreground detritus is distracting. My guess is that the sky may be recoverable if shot in RAW.

Try a horizontal crop to remove the foreground. You still get the benefit of the startling green in the japanese knotweed.

5. I'd have cropped out the mud and rocks on the bottom, just to where the water starts. Otherwise a nice peaceful shot.

Rich

6. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Andy, if this were a poll, I'd vote for what Gale said -- word-for-word. I like the touch of reality in the lower third of the image. However, I'm guessing that most people would have cropped it out.

7. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    I m with Bob & Gale . Id crop the sky down to just over the bridge.

8. I'd have loved to have a silkier look to the water. Longer shutter speed and maybe an ND filter would have allowed for this?
    And I'm in agreeance about the sky. Shots like this are very tough though.
    I like the scene overall.

9. Andyc

Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    Thank you all for constructive, honest comments and for taking the time to respond to my post. As a newby in the UK this forum is a massive resource of expert advice and welcome opinion.
    I don't want to hog the forum but in response to you input I have adjusted the photo (not shot in raw) to the best of my ability. I have lost a chunk of the green knotweed, twigs/mud and the blown sky which there still may be too much of. I am aquiring filter such as uv (on lens when this was taken) and polarising but will look into the ND type.

aquaduct4.

Thanks all once again.
    Best regards
    Andy