Opinions please . . .

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by kirchnel, Jul 11, 2007.

1. kirchnel

kirchnel

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern NJ
    best lens for group family shots. You know the ones at holidays, around the dinner table etc.

2. Hi Lynda
    what's your budget? Generally, at least for my experience, a wider view should be necessary, that is something between 17 and 55; I have the 17-35 and I used it a lot during last wedding with close and group shots. In that range, you have a lot of possibility (money permitting):

Nikon: 17-35 F2.8 - 17-55 F2.8
    Pro: excellent lenses, cons: extremely expensive
    Also: 18-70 DX

Sigma: 18-50 F2.8
    Tamron: 17-50 F2.8

Lighter and much cheaper lenses, of course forget the Nikkor finish.

3. A few questions. Which camera do you have? Will you be using an external flash? What price range are you considering?

Edit: I found out most of the info in one of your other posts:

And I see that you've posted a WTB for a 12-24 Nikkor.

The problem is, super wide angle lenses aren't very good for group pictures, because of perspective distortion.

The 18mm setting on your Nikon 18-70 is about as wide as I'd go, and it's a good lens. Spend your money on an SB800 instead of buying another lens. Jmho.

4. kirchnel

kirchnel

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern NJ
    Hmm well thanks for the opinions. As you can see I am still learning. I just bought a 12-24 from another member. I am excited about it. I am thinking I can zoom into the 18 range.
    Problem with my current 18-70 DX is that it never seems wide enough!
    I updated my profile today to include a picture of my grandson but I guess my equipment info disappeared.
    Have to fix that!
    thanks again to you both. I really like hearing the different opinions.

5. kirchnel

kirchnel

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern NJ
    One more thing. I was not that happy with the speed of the 12-24 (I like available light shooting and the faster lenses) but I conceded and also bought a SB 400. I know, I know, not as great as the SB800 but for someone who really isn't a fan of flash, I thought it would be a good step to at least utilize it somewhat.

6. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    I'll agree with Uncle Frank, a flash may be the only thing you need. The 18-70 is a great little lens and based on the distance you seem to be talking it's f/3.5-4.5 is probably open enough unless you want only one family member in focus at a time. Most of the time family around a table are not in a straight line so you may need even a smaller aperture.

7. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    The 400 is a cute little flash that I have been thinking of getting for just a little more fill then the popup. You can get a Stofen for it and I think it would even be better.

8. The SB-400 is a good step in the right direction, I ma not a big fan of flashes either - I went with an SB-600 - The insanity :eek: of pushing the SB-800 has to stop, the best first flash is the SB-600. I seldom use mine but when I do it works great and covers all my need (Well it has so far)

Try a mix of higher ISO and shooting on aperture priority - try different thing with the SB-400 Flash.

9. kirchnel

kirchnel

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern NJ
    What is a Stofen???

10. kirchnel

kirchnel

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern NJ
    Dude
    I went with the SB400 for the (hopefully) ease of use and size and price! I keep hearing if you point the flash up great pictures. I am not very technical but I do know what I like!
    I do use aperature setting mostly and have bumped up my ISO without flash with some great results (IMO) sometimes. So I guess it will prove to be another learning experience!

11. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
  12. kirchnel

kirchnel

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern NJ
    Thanks for the info! More $$$$ -- this is turning into quite the expensive hobby!

13. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    you have no idea :cool::biggrin::eek:

14. That's very much like someone saying "The insanity of pushing the 85/1.4 has to stop, the best portrait lens is the 85/1.8. I seldom take portraits but..." :rolleyes:.

If you seldom use a flash, they all look alike. But should you use flash on a regular basis, you may come to appreciate the differences that make the sb800 the better choice/value as a first flash, just as you have come to appreciate the 85/1.4.

15. I just learned something new. Thanks for the tip.