Opinions requested

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Scott, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Since the weather was so bad on Sunday when we were at Viera, I've basically gone through all my shots. I kept coming back to this one...intrigued by the lines in the water, the subtle colors of the bird set against the grey of the water, and the bird itself. I decided to play around with it in Photoshop and came out with this crop.

Don't know why but it does something for me. I was thinking about some title to go along with it but can't come up with anything creative, probably because of this stupid cold medicine frying my brain. Anyway, I added a double matte, played around with the colors and added a frame ending up with the image below.

What do you think of this as a potential for enlargement? I was kind of inspired by Harris' "Ducks in a Row" shot and Gordon's thread earlier about what is art vs. photography. I didn't really do anything to the image other than USM and a slight boost in saturation.

I'd post this in the Retouching Forum but since there's a large audience of bird lovers here, I'd rather have your opinions. Is it worth doing anything with or should I just trash it? Does it have merit or is my cold medicine making me loupy? :redface:

Any and all opinions welcome! :smile: Thanks for your time.

[​IMG]

2. Hi Kevin

I think your unusual crop and terrific framing turn a pedestrian shot into a wall hanger.

3. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Kevin

I really, really like, it. I think that the bird going out of the frame is OK on this one as he wake trails behind him.

Now..if only I could spend some time and figure how to do creative framing like the rest of you smarties do!

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I think if the bird was going in the other direction it would work real well.
    I like the pano crop. Love the frame.

Retouching would still be a great venture Kevin.
    Did you try a flip in PS just for the heck of it.

5. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Gale

Just cause we read left to right my dear doesn't mean everything has to move that way......... :)

I could swear I've seen birds swim and fly right to left....?

6. Kevin,
    Your presentation of this conveys your vision and makes a strong image in my opinion. I am like Jim, sorks well in this case.
    Dave

7. Kevin, your right. . . . I really like it. . . . going left to right would work better for me as well.

8. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Come on Folks

You need to break away from the left to right thing just cause you read that way. If you were in Japan, you'd have an entirely different perspective.

Does this mean I need to flip all of my moving target shots that are going right to left now?

LIVE A LITTLE PEOPLE :)

9. Wow! Great feedback so far. I'm kinda surprised!

Gale, I tried the flip thing in PS and to be honest, it feels unbalanced to me. I know it's a 2 dimensional image but facing right the picture feels like he's leaving. Facing left, the picture to me feels like he's coming. It just doesn't feel right to me flipped. Appreciate the suggestion, though.

I've always been intrigued by gray/black/brown/white color combinations and I think that's part of what attracts me to this shot. That and the solitude of the little bird on a calm pond just doin his thing!

Appreciate your defending the shot, Jim. I'm trying to learn to sometimes break the rules and not be so rigid! :wink:

10. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Wow, that is a great shot! Love how you framed it too

11. OK, you asked for it, here it comes.

#1, I'm Jealous :wink:
    #2, I'm glad you didn't like the "flip" version
    #3, I'd really like to see it "coming in", I think, rather than "going out", but I can't say for sure
    #4, I did an "on-screen crop" by simply moving the browser to the right, and I find it a bit more to my taste cropping out the empty right side up to where the wake is really evident, but I don't like it enough more to not REALLy like this one.

Good job, but I don't like black frames :wink:

12. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Kevin

Besides the fact that I'm *** backwards and don't shy away from breaking the norm...the thing I like best is the simplisticness!

13. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    I like the colors, frame, and 'squatted' crop. But I can't make up my mind if I like him on the left. I don't dislike it, but I might like it better if he were facing the same direction, but on the right side of the frame. If it had a bigger wake (turbo duck:smile: ), I might like it better as is.
    On the other hand, the more I look at, the more I like it the way you have it.

14. That is EXACTLY what it means Jim, about time you get with the program!! :biggrin:

15. Hi Kevin, yor question is very deep. Too deep for this time of night. LOL
    Been staring here for the past 10 minutes and will put a different spin on things..........man this is a very personal thing except for Jim, he needs to learn how to shoot left to right anyways :rolleyes:

I luv the framing and the panovision look, the colors matched with the framing set it off. Luv the black, white, brown thing going on. Im just not sold on the crop as it leaves me empty stairing away. B U T what I think would be cool is for 2 prints. One as is! the second reverse so both pictures would be hung together as if in a series. That would balance it out for me and personally think it would look cool!! Although both pictures individually not balanced but together a piece of art not photography. Sorry had to get that in. Thought I would come at a different angle with this. The reverse is easy to do in PS, just flip the entire pic................

16. Kevin to me every thing just works. All combined it makes for a great image and it really shows your creativity. Wish I could do that. Nice job.

17. Have you ever thought of going into mediation?

That might be a great idea which I hadn't thought of. Then, it begs the question: Do I place them facing each other or away from each other? (No, really, I'm just kidding!):wink: Thanks for the ideas!

18. Hmmm, ANOTHER tough question. I think I'd leave the "composition of the hanging" to the "hanger". You could have one swimming up-stream and one down-stream, by hanging at the appropriate angle. You could have them swimming toward each other, like in a Shampoo ad, but then you would want to add some music, maybe a new twist on the Billy Bass. Top and Bottom, oh, the possibilities are endless aren't they??? Just boggles the mind....see what you have done to us? I hope you are happy.......:wink:

Much as I hate to admit this, I think he has a good idea, how about flipping one and putting them up together for a look-see?

19. :eek: Well now you have to just clone in a whole flock of more Merngasers.

Just kidding I actually like it that way it is with all the muted colors...

20. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I did not say I did not like it. Or the bird should go the other way. Was just curious as to how it would look :>))

I was to lazy to copy the image and try myself to see...hahahahhahaa