Opinions sought on Focus Magic

I came across a reference to it and tracked it down in Google. It seems like a potentially very useful product. Does anyone have enough experience with it to comment? I have one shot of one of my grand kids at her First Communion which I took with a Coolpix and is blurred enough to almost render it not worth keeping...but it is all I have of that event. :frown:

Thanks in advance

I tried it ..... once. If your pictures are that blurry, then I doubt that Focus Magic will save them. I wasn't terribly impressed with my results (2 old slides), but there is a demo version you can try. I could never get results that were even close to what they show on their web page. Maybe I should have played with longer.

Good luck.

Regards,
John

I tried it. It didn't do as well as the examples and changed the saturation and color cast when it saved. I tried Photoshop and you can do the same thing (motion blur) in Smart Sharpen. Virtually all my messed images are from motion blur. Perhaps they have slightly different algorithms which may be more advanced but PS has the same settings. What you have there is a $45 function without buying Photoshop. Since I already have Photoshop, I think I'll pass on this. I appreciate the suggestions.

$45 saved.

I tried it. It didn't do as well as the examples and changed the saturation and color cast when it saved. I tried Photoshop and you can do the same thing (motion blur) in Smart Sharpen. Virtually all my messed images are from motion blur. Perhaps they have slightly different algorithms which may be more advanced but PS has the same settings. What you have there is a $45 function without buying Photoshop. Since I already have Photoshop, I think I'll pass on this. I appreciate the suggestions.

$45 saved.
Rich,

I've been using Focus Magic for four years or so, but only in its out of focus mode and not in the motion blur mode.
I've used Focus Magic for about 1/3 of my PP sharpening and can't recall any instance of changes in saturation or colorcast.
I operate Focus Magic within Photoshop, using a layer mask to brush sharpening in to desired locations.
I'm happy with its results.
I use a Smart Sharpen action and NX2 for the other 2/3 of my sharpening.
I used to use PK Sharpener but found I achieved the same result with my Focus Magic methods in PS and achieved it quicker.
With sharpening, there are many ways to achieve a similar result.
If you can achieve what you want using Smart Sharpen and save yourself $45, that seems to be the smart choice.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom