1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Opinions sought on Focus Magic

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Rich Gibson, Jul 27, 2009.

1. I came across a reference to it and tracked it down in Google. It seems like a potentially very useful product. Does anyone have enough experience with it to comment? I have one shot of one of my grand kids at her First Communion which I took with a Coolpix and is blurred enough to almost render it not worth keeping...but it is all I have of that event. :frown:

Thanks in advance

2. AllThumz

AllThumz

Feb 24, 2009
    Albany, Oregon
    I tried it ..... once. If your pictures are that blurry, then I doubt that Focus Magic will save them. I wasn't terribly impressed with my results (2 old slides), but there is a demo version you can try. I could never get results that were even close to what they show on their web page. Maybe I should have played with longer.

Good luck.

Regards,
    John

3. Some people swear by it. I tried it and thought it was less than as advertised.

4. Thanks. Perhaps I'll try with a sample first; it's borderline expensive.

5. I tried it. It didn't do as well as the examples and changed the saturation and color cast when it saved. I tried Photoshop and you can do the same thing (motion blur) in Smart Sharpen. Virtually all my messed images are from motion blur. Perhaps they have slightly different algorithms which may be more advanced but PS has the same settings. What you have there is a $45 function without buying Photoshop. Since I already have Photoshop, I think I'll pass on this. I appreciate the suggestions.

$45 saved.

6. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Rich,

Do a search on image deconvolution software. I have some software laying around thats used by crime scene investigators. Maybe I can get you a name if I can find it.

Edit:
    Here is one that I remember playing with.

7. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    Rich,

I've been using Focus Magic for four years or so, but only in its out of focus mode and not in the motion blur mode.
    I've used Focus Magic for about 1/3 of my PP sharpening and can't recall any instance of changes in saturation or colorcast.
    I operate Focus Magic within Photoshop, using a layer mask to brush sharpening in to desired locations.
    I'm happy with its results.
    I use a Smart Sharpen action and NX2 for the other 2/3 of my sharpening.
    I used to use PK Sharpener but found I achieved the same result with my Focus Magic methods in PS and achieved it quicker.
    With sharpening, there are many ways to achieve a similar result.
    If you can achieve what you want using Smart Sharpen and save yourself $45, that seems to be the smart choice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.