OpTech Reporter Strap - Dual Camera strap

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by dbirdsong, Dec 22, 2005.

1. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Has anyone ever used the Reporter Strap from Optech Pro?
    [​IMG]

I kind of like the ideal of having 2 camera on the same strap for shooting sports, one with a long lens and one with a short lens.

2. That would drive me absolutely nuts. Given that my long lens is generally the 120-300 which I shoot off a monopod I'd be constantly banging bodies with this setup, camera bodies that is :smile:

Plus, I have 2 shoulders for a reason, one for each camera, oh yeah, and a neck for the third one :wink:

3. Oh my aching back and neck. Maybe if you were standing on the end of the red carpet and knew that the movie star was coming within a few minutes, but I could not see standing with two DSLR bodies and even one long lens with a short lens for any length of time past 15 or 20 minutes, (assumes you are not also carrying a shoulder bag or other equipment). Assuming the long lens would probably be like a 70-200 or 80-200 and the short, I suppose an 18-55 or something. Walking (forget running to get a shot) would be as mentioned a real challenge to keep those darn dangling lenses from bumping.

I say, hire an assistant or keep one in a top loading hip bag (open when you are shooting) that will accomodate either so you could switch back and forth if you must carry two bodies. $.02

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. I am trying to make myself some straps that you have on the top camera so that i can tie my camera to the loops on the vest harness, that would take a lot of weight from the tripod that i carry on my shoulder.

6. Oh, the pain of that setup!! I always wear mine diagonally, very easy to swing to the back out of the way when hiking. As mentioned, I normally carry my long lens and having all that clanging would drive me nuts, let alone might prove costly!

7. Dave,
    I'm not sure if you would like the set-up in this link, but most of the weight would be supported by your waist (or "wedgie" LOL). They do have a dual harness system for two cameras! Maybe this will help you in coming up with something of your own. There's always a better mouse trap waiting to be built :).

http://www.opticarry.com/

8. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    I agree with what many others have said...use your shoulders. This way the camers are on separate straps and they wont hit each other. Also less strain.

9. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I do like using my shoulder for my cameras, except when the cameras slide off while using the other one.
    I have thought about making some kind of strap that would attach to my vest and the other strap to help prevent that from happening.
    I tend to keep a strap around my neck when shooting too. Although my neck would prefer that I didn't.

10. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
  11. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I have seen that strap and to be honest, it doesn't thrill me in the least...
    BTW, Glad to see you made it over there. I think you will like it a lot.

12. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Hi Dave,

Dunno if I'll find it thrilling either, but I think I'll give one a try.

Thanks for the warm welcome. :smile: Usually, I don't mind the insanity of some sites. :eek: I have a pretty full plate for computer time, but I keep hearing how good this place is, from people that I like and respect, so I'm sure that it will be a place to relax and enjoy. That won't be a bad thing. :wink:

13. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Kerry,
    I have used an Upstrap for a couple of years. The advantages of it are it will not slip off you shoulders and is pretty rugged. It is also nice to have the narrow straps as I feel they are less intrusive when using the camera. The down side is the strap is not very comfortable when worn around your neck.

14. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Thanks for the info, Dave. I wondered about that, seeing the very wide rubber piece that's involved. I assume that you have the bigger one made for dslrs. Is that correct?

15. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Kerry, yes I do have the bigger one for dslr's.