Optical audio cables (toslink)

Does anyone have experience with these cables? Some are extremely low-priced at Amazon.com, and some are very high-priced.

In fact, some are advertised at $0.00 + $4.99 shipping. Do any of you have experience with these cheap ones?

The lowest price I find at my local Best Buy is $19.99. Are the higher priced ones really that much better?

Real Name
Walter Rowe
An older Apple TV device I owned was connected to my home theater stereo via toslink. I think I got an optical cable from a HiFi store, but honestly am not sure it mattered. It was only running about 3 feet. If you were running over a significant distance, then single-mode vs multi-mode fiber optics can make a difference but I don't even think that applies to toslink fiber runs. We use those terms in data center fiber optic network runs.

Thanks, Gary and Walter, for your experience. What you are saying makes sense.

As it turns out, I don't actually need another cable. I found a way to make the connections I wanted to with the cables I have.

But I have run into another problem with my new TV setup that you might have some ideas on. My wife and I like to watch cultural events that are only available online, and we like to stream them to the TV and audio system. The ideal scenario is to play the sound through the audio system while also sending the sound to my bluetooth hearing aid adapter.

What I've been trying to do is connect the TV to the stereo receiver and to the bluetooth HA broadcaster via the optical audio out and a splitter.

But as soon as I switch the HA broadcaster into the circuit, I get intermittent freezes in the TV picture. I can stream to the TV using Apple Airplay to an older Apple TV device or through a Roku stick and the same thing happens either way.

I'm stuck trying to figure this out.

Last edited:
If the distances/lengths are modest (less than 6 feet) inexpensive optical cables are fine. For longer lengths something sturdier might work better.

Thanks, Doug. As you can see, I got the same advice from the first responders above, but as it turns out, I don't actually need another cable.

If you have some ideas on the problem I described in post #4 I would be very appreciative.

I think my streaming problem may be related to interference between the bluetooth and wi-fi signal since both signals are near 2.4 GHz.

Last edited:
Wish I could actually see your setup.
The interference idea could easily be tested. Play some other source over the ha broadcaster and see if it interferes with the tv.
Try connecting the ha broadcaster to an extra audio out on your receiver, they usually have several outputs. Your tv may also have an analog audio out you could use
Good luck with your quest.
Gary

I think my streaming problem may be related to interference between the bluetooth and wi-fi signal since both signals are near 2.4 GHz.
Sometimes wireless phone in your house (if 2.4 Ghz.) Can bring interference with Bluetooth and wi-fi. Try test with other chanel on your phone.

Latest threads

Top Bottom