Options for a (mostly) jpeg shooter

Hi everyone,
I mostly shoot jpegs and simply try to get it right in the camera, in part because I'm not very good at post processing but also because I don't have time to process every image I shoot. However, when I'm in a low light situation or when I'm shooting a scene where I really care about the outcome, I'll move to Raw + jpeg fine.

I've used Nikon Capture NX-2 for years for the limited amount of post-processing that I do end up doing (mostly cropping and saving to smaller sizes for sharing), but I realized that NX-2 can't open the raw files for my Z6, so the hunt for a replacement began. And here's where I'm looking for recommendations.

NX-D seems like the logical choice, but I'm also very interested in DXO Photolab with its control points (which remind me of some of NX-2's capabilities). They both seem to use the sidecar thing, which I'm not used to at all. But they both also seem oriented toward editing raw files as opposed to jpegs.

Anyway, just wondering what people think about PhotoLab 4 vs. NX-D, or if I should be considering another option. Wherever I end up, I want to learn more about post-processing and get better at it.

Thanks,
Rob

I'm with Nick. When I gave up on Capture NX2 a few years ago I tried LightRoom for a while, but never really clicked with it. Tried DxO after that and I've been a convert ever since.

If one of the main reasons you've been using Capture NX-2 is its control point technology, go with DxO because they now own that very same technology. I'm not a DxO user other than that I use their Nik plug-ins, some of which have the control points. Even so, in your situation I recommend that you look at DxO because you probably won't have to look any farther.

Real Name
Andrew
I'm going a big proponent of using Lightroom. However, I know that is not always a popular choice for many reasons.

RIght now, if I needed to switch away from Lightroom for whatever reason, I would be looking strongly to go toward CaptureOne.

I really like the RAW processing they have done and the interface was easy for me to pick up. I use it instead of Lightroom whenever I'm processing Fuji X-Trans RAW files.

DXO PhotoLab is nice, I just am not a fan of the interface, if I'm being honest.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
DxO, CaptureONe and LR all have a 30 day trial period. Download them and give them a try. Decide what works for YOU.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom