Options for D200 slave flash

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by jcdoss, Apr 3, 2007.

1. jcdoss

jcdoss

Feb 20, 2007
    Kansas City
    What is the lightest, most portable options for off-camera flash for a D200? Something like the SB-400, only capable of being a slave would be ideal.

Thanks!

2. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

The Nikon macro lights from the R1C1 kit would be ideal, but you dont mention what sort of application you want them for. The R1 flashes are wireless capable.

How about a Sb600? A little bulkier than what you want, but you get total control and not just slave functionality.

R1 flashes

Buy an Sb400 and one of the Su-4 units....kind of pricey for that setup and no CLS iTTL wireless.... SU-4

3. jcdoss

jcdoss

Feb 20, 2007
    Kansas City
    Applications... does it matter? Anything, really. Interiors, portraits, and outdoor applications. I don't know what I'd end up using it for frankly. The SB-600 is a good option, but the SB-400 is a really good-looking small and powerful package that I wish could be used wirelessly.

The SU-4 is an option, I guess, but I don't understand how it works. How's it different from the SB-600?

We have an R1 unit at work, and those SB-R200s are really nice but have much less power than the SB-400 (GN 33' vs GN 98').

Is anyone using an SB-400 and SU-4 with a D200?

4. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Yes, it does matter. If you wanted to just light up some tabletop still life shots...the macro lights would do...if you want to light up a portrait, you need a different tool.

The Su-4 just tells the flash when to begin firing and when to shut off. If you use The D200 to command a Sb600, you can do so with iTTL, and adjust the output incrementally. You can go full manual and make adjustments to the flash from the camera without touching the flash unit. That is not possible with a SU-4 unit.

5. I would recommend the SB600 for you...that wireless TTL is really great for just starting out...

You might get to the point where you're shooting all of your flashes in manual anyway, but when you're just starting out, TTL is a great asset...go with the SB600...it's really fun and works like a dream...

6. I agree with John, go with the SB600 or SB800 to take advantage of the CLS capability of the camera.

7. jcdoss

jcdoss

Feb 20, 2007
    Kansas City
    Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to do. I was woo'ed by the diminutive size of the SB-400, though. Like I said, I have access to an R1 kit at work... I might have to borrow it sometime for macros, and maybe later on get one of my very own.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.