Orchid with Art History Brush

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by MGlennn, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Still trying to learn a little about the AHB...fun...makes me feel like an artist when no real talent actually exists...:biggrin:

This time I did more detail work as I went further to the left in the image to show how the AHB looks very early in the process then later and later on....so.............it becomes much more abstract as one moves to the right.....I am still trying to get a feel for how much "abstractness" is needed...:confused:

Comments appreciated...:smile:

[​IMG]

2. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Mike - stunning

I think that is superb.

OK Mike AHB - how do you use it please?

Do you remove something and then paint it back with the AHB?

Need somewhere to start please.

Thanks

Ray

3. Hi Ray...

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=57080&page=2

This is the thread by Diane that got me hooked :biggrin:

I have been playing around with it ever since (addicting)...it is not hard once you know the rules but getting the final image right is the "trick"...I haven't mastered that quite yet.

Simple images are best...like a bright colored flower
    Only works in 8 bit mode, so change to that
    take a snapshot of the image and set that view as the one that is active for the AHB...from then on, the brush tries to take you back to the original image
    new layer empty to paint on ..fill with whatever color you want...set opacity to about 80% so the background layer shows through and you can see where you are.....select a brush size of about 50 (chalk? maybe) and start painting...

From there on it is just fun...

Use smaller and smaller brush sizes as you go and the detail will gradually come through...you can use multiple layers and vary the opacity and layer style (hard light etc) to bring out what you want...

This is a natural for you with your visual ability...just a little practice and it will come clear....

another tut.. http://www.artworld.si/e_painting_with_the_art_history_brush-tutorial-223.art

regards....Mike

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Thanks Mike

Will give it a go.

I did read Diane's thread but somehow didn't latch on.

Am going to give it a try having seen your brilliant orchid shot.

Thanks very much

All the best

Ray

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That for sure looks like a water color painting.

Maybe enhance the composition a bit. All I can think of at the moment is the black space at left. Aww might try flipping the flowers so they look the other way. That might work. :>))

Keep up the good work.

6. Thanks Gale....appreciate the comments !!
    :smile:

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Mike,

I agree with Ray; it looks very good to me. Definitely looks like something interesting to experiment with on rainy weekends when I can't get out and shoot at the birdies. :smile:

8. Looks like you're headed in the right direction, Mike! Did you download Trimoon's AHB sets? Those brushes are amazing! Be sure and download his tut on how/where to load those presets as well. Continue on with what you're doing - it'll come to you in a flash like someone turned on a lightbulb! :smile: :biggrin: Those orchids are beautiful and good subject to work with.

P.S. It might be fun if we all tried working with these orchids if you wouldn't mind posting the original.

9. Thanks Frank...you are right...
    :cool:

cold/raining outside = art history brush......:wink:

10. Thanks Diane....I have not downloaded the brushes yet...just working with the standard ones...
    :redface:

I think that is a super idea about all working on the same piece....will post in AM as soon as I get to office computer (~ 7am CST)....:smile:

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I have a gazillion flowers I should post in my gallery for you guys to play with.

I sure don't get the painting thing at all.
    I can't even draw stick people.

I will think of doing that this weekend if the weather is bad :>))

13. original photo

Here's the original for everyone to play with....thanks for all the help and comments :smile:

[​IMG]

14. Ooh, this is gorgeous!! I've downloaded it and ready to play but it'll have to be later today -- will post my efforts when done. :smile:

16. Something I will have to give a try on a slow day. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

17. Okey dokey - here goes my try with Mike's Orchid

Not perfect - needs more work and just 1 of many ways you could use the Art History Brush.
    First used Buzz Simplify to reduce some of the detail. To retain the delicate shading, I dabbed with the brush in the various shaded areas rather than making sweeping strokes. The brush does all the work if you let it. For the throat of the orchid, I reduced the size of the brush to about half of the default size (from about 58 to about 27) which brings back some of the delicate area - could do even more if you wanted. Increased contrast slightly and sharpened when finished. Then used a little "artistic license" and added water. :smile: I used Mike's whole image but I think if it were mine, I'd have cropped out everything but the bloom on the left. You can look at the original size at http://www.pbase.com/image/53250858 Mike, I hope I didn't "mess up" your pic too badly - the original shot is beautiful just the way it is.:Happy:

Hope someone else posts their effort as well. :biggrin:

19. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    OHHHHHHH I like it.
    Did you run flood also :>))

20. Yup :smile: and thanks.