Orchid

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Beezle, Oct 7, 2005.

1. An orchid I have been trying different lighting with.

[​IMG]

2. You have done well with this one.

Somehow it reminds me of some deep space images, maybe the glowing sun peeping through from behind...?

What camera and lens combination? The sharpness is awesome.

Regards,
    Jonathan

3. That is the 55 2.8 AIS macro on a D2X. Lighting is via a Luxeon LED.

Thanks for the compliment.

4. Certainly is unusual lighting but quite nice as well. The flower actually glows.

5. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Very beautiful....reminds me of the types of sea creatures that live WAAAAAAY down in the depths of the oceans...the ones that are flouresent. Really an interesting shot...care to share how you lit it from behind?

6. Thanks for the compliments.

I just used an Inova T1 LED flashlight, which uses a very bright LED of a brand name luxeon. These LEDs are 1 to 5 watts each and very intense. I buy such things from an online source brightguy.com.

I find the light they produce leans blue a wee bit, and it makes them work well with flash or even alone.

So, I set up the camera at the angle I wanted, on a focusing rail, then went about trying aimed flash using a snoot, different lights I have, etc. Trying to get an idea how I might light it.

I finally settled on using the above light, held above and behind the flower and aimed down into the center of the back of the flower. Exposure was 0.5 seconds at f7.6 (actually 8). I used a cord remote and mirror lock up.

Here is another example where I used flash and another hand held light. Wasn't as happy with this one.

[​IMG]