Orchids, D2H, and the Beast...

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by CrystallP, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Well, it has taken a few weeks, but I finally have a few images to post using my new D2H. :biggrin: These orchid images were taken at the Howard Peter Rawlings Conservatory and Botanic Gardens, Baltimore, MD. The renovations to the conservatory were recently completed and I plan to visit often...especially since it is less than 45 minutes from my home! I experimented with both the Beast and the 60mm micro, but in the end, I used the Beast to capture these images. The white balance was set using the Expodisc. :biggrin:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Crystall,
    These are absolutely exquisite! The D2H is a fine camera and you can definately get the most out of it.
    Nicely done
    Dave

3. Thank you Dave. The D2H pro body is a whole new world to me. I have so much to learn especially about lighting. I like the overall weight of the camera and I can honestly say that the 28-70mm lens stays on my camera most of the time. I switched out to the 60mm micro a few times, but overall, most of my keepers were produced with the Beast. :biggrin:

Ooops, one more thing...I absolutely love the vertical grip!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

4. One more Orchid...and a Blue Passion Vine

Hi All,

Here is one more orchid and another unknown species. I really need to slow down and take notes when I visit conservatories and gardens. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

I should have asked my sherpa (that would be my husband). He says this is a blue passion vine.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2005
  5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Crystall,

Very nice shots. For this kind of shot, I'm not surprised that you liked the beast a little better. While a good general purpose lens, the 60mm ain't the beast. Where it really shines of course, is when you get very close. You may already have thought of this, but you can use the beast with the 500D. :wink:

6. Frank!

I completely forgot about the 500D! That would have come in so handy yesterday! Of course, that will require my monopod. I better attach that to my backpack. Thank you for reminding me.

BTW, I purchased a 77mm Expodisc which will work will all of my lenses. For the 62mm lenses, I just need to hold the expodisc in front of the lens to get a white balance reading.

7. This looks like my garden, NOT!!! Very nice images Crystal and I'm glad you are enjoying the D2H. That last image is very beautiful.

8. Blue Passion Vine

Thank you Gordon. Can you identify the species of this flower? It was growing as a lush vine full of blossoms at the conservatory. I had so much trouble with this one. I plan to try again soon before it finishes blooming. Correction...my sherpa (oops, that would be my husband) says that it is a blue passion vine... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2005