Orchids from Longwood Gardens LARGE IMAGES

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Gordon Large, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Mike Mac and I spent a lot of time on our recent trip to Longwood in the orchid room. Photography there is a challenge with backdrops of concrete blocks, pipes and dirty windows. The solutions are composing images with minimal distractions and maximum isolation from the background, and later PS touch-ups to remove the unavoidable problems. I worked on the first but couldn't on the second. I've got to get my new laptop up and running with PS on it! I'll have a couple more images to show when that happens.

Thanks for looking and enjoy!

Gordon

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Beautiful work, Gordon. I love orchids. My paternal grandmother used to grow orchids. She had an indoor pool and it provided the perfect "hot house" for her to grow them year round. She's no longer with us, but you reminded me of one of my fondest memories of her. Thanks.

3. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Leigh. One of the great things about photographs is the way they can bring back fond memories.

Gordon

4. Gordon,

Your orchid images are lovely! Traffic was so thick in the orchid room during my last visit that I decided to use my 70-200VR lens! I positioned myself in the corners and tried to capture images in between groups of people! Oh how I love the challenge of composing images at Longwood Gardens! :lol:

5. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Crystall -

Thanks for the nice comment. I was using the same lens, but up close and personal, sometimes with an extension tube. Do have one of those gadgets? I've got 12mm and 25mm Kenkos (the only brand that works with Nikon lenses) and they open up a whole new world of close-up photography. If you don't have one, get the 12mm first, cuz it's easier to learn with.

Gordon

6. Great stuff here Gordon you did real well, again I had a great time. I may see you this Sunday in Sandy Hook with Anthony

7. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Mike. I hope you will come this weekend.

Gordon

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gordon those are beautiful..

Have you thought of bringing a black velvet back drop with you for such occassions. Doesn't need to be real big. Velvet absorbs light also and easier to just use the paint bucket in PS.

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Wow Gordon, you have some really good shots here. Don't know how I missed it earlier.

10. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Gale. Black velvet would be a good idea, but I'm not sure Longwood would allow it. They are very strict with their photo rules, and I think they might be concerned about damage to the orchids (or any other flowers). Most of the orchids are in fact right up against the walls, and they would have to be pulled out from the walls to get the velvet behind them. Doesn't sound too promising..... But I'll check, and thanks for the idea!

Gordon

11. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Frank. I've been taking flower shots a lot longer than birds. And flowers don't fly around and leave before you can check exposure and composition. Here's hoping that pretty soon you will be saying "wow" about my birds too!

Gordon

12. Neil

Neil

Jul 8, 2005
    Douglasville, GA
    Gordon thanks for sharing the images, you set a high example for us rookies to strive to on our shots.

Neil

13. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Neil. :)

Gordon

14. The orchid is the most beautiful flower, Your pictures are really very very nice.