1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

**ORDER PLACED**MacBook - MacBook Pro Recommendations

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by F15Todd, Jun 15, 2007.

1. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Here is the background. I'm going to Korea for a year and not wanting to wait for the slow boat (and weight restrictions for what I can ship over there) I'm going to take a laptop. I'm normally a desktop user and not a fan of laptops but here are the two options I have been thinking about.

Option 1: 17-inch MacBook Pro 2.4GHz with 2GB memory for about $2800

Option 2: 13-inch MackBook 2.16GHz with 2 GB memory and the 23" flat panel Apple Cinema HD display. With this option I would work off the 13" screen until my shipment of household goods arrive that would have the 23" flat panel) for about $2600

Option 3: A smarter recommendation by you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2007
  2. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Option one. Simply because integrated graphics may not be enough for photo editing.

3. MacBook Pro plus ACD, keyboard and mouse and you're in business just like with a desktop with the additional flexibility of a laptop. I agree with DBrim that the MacBook might not be sufficient for extensive photo editing; the Macbook Pro has the separate graphics and that really can make a huge difference. MBP also has other advantages over the MacBook, too.....

4. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I also vote for the MacBook Pro. Check out Dell flat screen monitors for a lower price. Do you get any kind of discount (student, corporate, military) from either Apple or Dell?

5. Donald D

Donald D

Aug 19, 2006
    What about going with the 15" MBP middle model with the same specs as the 17" - unless you need the HD screen. Then put the savings towards a monitor.

6. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Well I haven't tested out my brothers MBPro but I can tell you that my MB with 1.25GB ( yeah I know it's not paired :biggrin:)  is good enough to work on CS3 and Lightroom ( haven't really used Aperture , the 30 days trial made me choose LR ).

It also comes down to transportation. You'll easily fit a MB in any bag if ever you want to, MBPs are a bit larger and slightly heavier to carry around. So it makes sense ( at least to me ) to get the MB and the 23" ACD. That way you'll have plenty of screen space to work at home and you'll have something to travel with.

7. Stephen Fox

Stephen Fox Guest

I have a Macbook 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo with 13" display. Using NX to save heavily edited D2X RAW files it performs impressively compared to my quad core Mac Pro desktop. For a laptop a Macbook is very powerful and impressive.

The MacBook is small enough to be considered as a travelling Mac that can be taken almost anywhere.

I suggest you go to an Apple store and check out both MacBook and MacBook Pro installing your own software to see if the extra cash is worth spending on a MBP.

8. mkawa

mkawa

Apr 25, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Skip the ACD, and go with:

The Macbook if you want to keep the load down to 5lbs or so (keep in mind that Korea is a walking country, like most of Asia) and don't use Aperture.

The Macbook Pro 15" if you're ok with slightly more traveling weight or if you use Aperture.

Lightroom, CS3, etc. run great on both. Aperture is particularly slow on integrated graphics for reasons that honestly mystify me. The 17" MBP is a laptop in name only.

Notebook displays aren't all that hot, but they're plenty for proofing. If I were you, I would plan to spend my time exploring one of the more interesting countries in the world, not staring at my computer screen :) 

Also, I would throw 3gb of non-apple sourced memory in. With these configs, my guesstimate on the cost of each option is <1500$ for a MB and <1900$ for a MBP, although that's probably a little on the conservative side.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2007
  9. Daniel Bates

Daniel Bates

Jan 9, 2007
    The Macbook non-pro only takes 2 GB of memory, right?

10. mkawa

mkawa

Apr 25, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    The boards that Apple uses in their Core 2 machines will take 3gb of ram, and now is a great time to buy, as a butterfly coughed in china or something -- prices are quite low.

11. Option #1, if you can tolerate the size and weight difference.

I have both the 17" MacBook Pro and the13" MacBook. I use the MBP for all my editing, office work, printing and and the MB for travel, download and review of the day's shoot. I got the MB mainly to reduce the weight of the gear I carry when traveling. The graphics of the MB are good, but not desirable for any serious PhotoShop work. The MB in the field is great for quick reviews.

BTW, because of the graphics card restrictions, I don't think you will be happy with the MB and a larger monitor.

I have CS3 and LightRoom on both computers and find that I use Bridge/CS3 most of the time.

I sure wish Apple had not discontinued the 12" Pro when they switched from PowerBooks to the MacBooks.

Chet

12. Rumor has it that one of these days/months/years we'll be seeing a small MBP from Apple, hopefully an ultraportable which will be smaller and lighter than the 12" PB or the current 13" MacBooks....

13. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    That's been a mild rumor for a while, but I'm not holding my breath on that one. However, I did see a good report on AppleInsider.com about the new iMacs making a debut mid-July to August. Makes sense, since they'd want to get these out before school starts.

14. mkawa

mkawa

Apr 25, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I don't think we'll be seeing the ultraportable until fall at the earliest. There's nothing inherently wrong with the Macbook, and the ultraportable will be a tablet, and expensive.

15. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm going to get the MacBook Pro...still up in the air about the 15 or 17 inch screen. I'll grab a quarter and use that to decide.

16. A refurbished MBP 15.4 and screen of your choice. The 17 is really to big to take on the road with you and once you have one of these babies, you will be taking it with you.

Get your refurb direct from the Apple store (down now for iPhone stuff). Yuo can even get Applecare for it too. I did last October (Core Duo 2.16) and have been very pleased. Looked new to me.

17. Now that I've had an hour or so under my belt in playing with the new iPhone and seeing what a terrific job Apple has done with the touch screen functionality, I am betting that the next big thing we'll be seeing will indeed be an ultraportable, and as mkawa suggests, it will be a tablet -- and/or a touchscreen device.

17" vs 15" MBP....well....today as we were all sitting there at the mall waiting for the Apple store to reopen and hand out the eagerly-awaited iPhone, I looked around to see what people were using. Many MBPs, mostly 15", but I did see a couple of 17-inchers, too. A few MacBooks as well. The 17" MBP is really not all that much heavier or bulkier than the 15" and I think that there are a number of advantages that it has over the 15". My little 15" did just great today and because I also was carrying a separate bag with my D40 and a couple of lenses, the extra length and weight of a 17" MBP probably would have been too much for me to manage today.

That said, in the end, if I were making the investment today, I'd go for the 17" MBP.

18. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Order Placed

I just place my order from the Apple Store On-line.
    MacBook Pro, 17-inch, 2.4GHz.
    4 GB of RAM
    17-inch High-Resolution Display
    160BS Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm

Plus the pre-installed Final Cut Express video editing program and a wireless mouse.

19. Mmmmmmm....... yummy!!!!!! 4 GB RAM! HD screen! -- Fantastic!! I think you will be VERY happy!

20. If you can, you might consider ordering the memory from somewhere besides Apple. I used Crucial.com and got the same 4GB of memory for $400 (including tax and 2-day shipping) as opposed to Apple's $750. It took me five minutes to open up the bottom of the system, remove Apple's 1GB DIMMS and insert my 2GB DIMMS. Apple even includes instructions in their owners manual for how to do it yourself.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.