Ordered my D2X today!

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by dond, Jun 6, 2005.

1. I ordered it from an authorized Nikon dealer in Virginia and got a good price, $4600. His return policy, will replace camera, if anything wrong, in the first 30 days. Not that expect or want anything to be wrong, just in case. He says I should have it in hand Tues or Wed. I can't wait.

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Congrats. You are going to love it. Good price too.

3. Congrats!

Funny, though, I have absolutely Zero lust for a D2X... :roll: ?!?!?!

I'm plenty satisfied with both my D2H cameras, from which I think they're better then film already. I can understand all the craze around a D2X though (who doesn't)! Post some shots when you receive it!

4. Careful NB23...hanging around here is like test driving cars...insidiously infectious.
    Dond, you'll love it. It's more camera than I need which is a nice luxury. My one vice in life so what the heck. I've observed before that i have a lot of friends who spend more on Spurs seats. Just prioritizing.

5. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Then it will be bigger CF cards, better glass, faster computer. . . . :shock:

6. Already contemplating 4Gb CF card and bigger, faster computer. The wife is going to kill me :mrgreen:

Does anyone use NC 4.2? Is there anything better? I'm running PS 7.0, because I can't seem to upgrade W2K with SP4. That's another reason for the possible computer upgrade.

7. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I'm using NC 4.2.1 and it is almost unusably slow on my computer (on which CS runs just fine). I know someone who just bought a new Dell with 3.2GHz processor and 2 GB of RAM, and it still ran slow until he popped another GB of RAM in . . . . :shock:

8. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    When it comes to graphics, RAM is your best friend...the more, the better.

C

9. John, does CS open NEF images without any problems? Isn't there a CS2 also? Is CS2 an upgrade from CS?

10. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    Photoshop CS does open NEF with the Camera Raw Plug-In.

Yes, CS2 is an upgrade from CS...CS is actually Photoshop 8 and CS2 is Photoshop 9.

CS2 is much better with NEFs.

C

11. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    My understanding is that you need the latest version of Camera Raw to open the D2X NEFs and this only works with CS2. I tried using it with CS and it gave an error message. Even now, CS2 (the 'Bridge') won't show me the EXIF information from the D2X NEF files, although it is fine with JPGs from the same camera.

12. I guess I'll be getting a bigger & faster computer, since CS or CS2 won't work on my current machine. Let's see...I can give my wife my current machine, she only goes on the internet, and get myself something better.

Boy, this is more expensive than I thought, I mean the camera's almost $5K, now I've got to upgrade the computer and software. You only live once, right? What's another few thousand dollars :shock:

13. Windows supports only up to 2GB of RAM :idea:

14. Jay Keller

Jay Keller Guest

I broke down and bought the CS2 upgrade, the NEF support for the D2X is there and there are other new features also. The browser is improved, there's a smart sharpen function, and much more (that I now have to set about learning).

One of the nicest things about PhotoShop, IMO, is the great amount of online information. Without that, it would be a very daunting program to learn.

15. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I believe that Windows XP can handle up to 4 GB.

16. I was under impression that Windows is capable of addressing 4 GB of memory, of which half — 2 GB — can be physical RAM, and the other half virtual RAM.

17. Jay Keller

Jay Keller Guest

From Microsoft at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/features.mspx:
    Scalable memory and processor support
    Supports up to 4 gigabytes (GB) of RAM and up to two symmetric multiprocessors.
    This is the physical ram limit, virtual memory is the sum of physical plus the pagefile. (I just played with my system here at work, I configured a 4GB swapfile so it now shows 5GB virtual memory, 1 GB physical plus the 4GB pagefile).

I've also read that there is a 2GB limit per application, but I haven't tested that to verify it.

XP Home Edition is the same except it can only support 1 CPU.

18. Win XP supports 4gb
    Looking at the Dell web site you can order a Precision with 12gb if you opt for XP 64-bit edition.
    Anybody know what's max ram with 64-bit XP?

This is sort acedemic for my purposes considering 12 gb upgrade costs more that a D2X with a side order of a 200-400VR

19. Yeah, now it's only moderately daunting! :?

20. Congratulations Don. I hope someday to get a second one when the price really drops. Maybe in two years or so.

I absolutly love mine and so will you!