I'm about to order some film.

In 35mm, I"ll be ordering:

Fuji 400H
Portra 400
Ektar 100

And in 120 I'll be ordering:
Portra 400
Extra 100

My buddy is ordering some Fuji Velvia 50 and Ilford HP5 which he loves. Should I pick up some of that too?

Should I add anything to my list?

That obviously depends entirely on what you like to shoot. Personally, when I shoot film, it is going to be b+w more than 95% of the time.

ADD, Acros, Trix, Provia 100 / 400x, and portra 160. This way you can see what you like. A lot of folks will tell you to stick to few films until you know them well enough. I agree and disagree. I pick film based on subject matter and scan ability.

Why are you getting Portra 400 and fuji 400H? I would just get the Portra. 400H is a great film but I like the Portra better.

I've shot Portra 400, which I love. So that stays.

But the tones of 400H seem slightly different to me, and I want to try that as well.

I've shot some 400TX, which I love, but I'm not much for B&W photography to be honest, and I love color. I shoot mostly people.

I have at least one roll of Portra 160 left, so I should be good there. Maybe I'll add another roll or two, just because.

Any particular reason for not picking up some 200 ASA film?
You are in San Jose, yes, like Texas, lots of sunshine.
I find that 200 ASA is just about perfect for those climates.

PS: Does not matter which brand, they are all good when fresh.

Will, I was thinking about adding some Portra 160 or something in the 200 range as well.

Anything you recommend?

Richard Photo Lab does all of my processing. Sadly, I don't have the knowledge, the equipment, and at this stage in my life (mortgage, wife, new kiddo crawling all over the place, two jobs), I don't have the time to learn. If I was doing my own developing, I'd probably shoot more B&W.

Mike,
I'm thinking the "cheapies" like Kodak Gold 200, Fuji Superia 200.
When they are fresh, and if you're a bit careful with the exposure (or go Auto with a good metered camera), you'll have some good colors.

6939216465_fa1064f6ea_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Fuji Superia 200

For me, the Ilford HP5+ is the best b&w film. At 400 just enough grain to give a cool look, and perfect for pushing up to 3200 ASA.
Also, more Ektar. Never enough Ektar. Especially on medium format.

Try Ektar 100 too, it is a nice film, there is also Velvia 100 [not 100F], i swear by it, i did shoot one roll 120 of Velvia 100 and i got blown away with its quality, nice one though.

for B&W, i recommend Acros 100 and TMAX400 and also Tri-X400, HP5 great and this is the best 400 film from Ilfrod so far, not a fan for Delta.

Don't knock yourself out. Just enjoy it while it's still here :)

I shoot Ektar, or the Kodak 100 "cheapies". Get the film processed as negatives only for 2.00.
Then use the Epson 750 to scan.

Also bought some expired Fuji 160s / 36exp for bucks a roll.
(image below)

It's cheap enough to justify.... Especially with baby, mortgage, etc...

FUJI 160s

img172a.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Carl
Anthony: Good photo of an attractive lady!

Mike: Do yourself a favor and just buy only 1 or 2 flavors of film at first. Work with it till you know what it will do, and what you like. Get a notebook you don't use for anything else, and keep notes. Invaluable, when you get to be almost 100, like me! :tongue:

You find that you like a film, why try another??

My experience hs been that 400 ASA films now are as good as the 100 of merely 20 years ago. 200 is good, too.

Avoid the "Mart" brands of film, the biggies today are very good.
My personal preference has been: Kodak Gold 100 and Fuji 400. Used to be, you could get 3-or 4 packs for very reasonable prices.

Processing at Costco or wherever, and scanning to a CD is relatively cheap.

Except for C-41 process Black-and white, which your typical 19 year-old "photo expert" will NOT run through the color machines, and you can't explain it to them! That's why DIY processing has its charms.
Good luck!

Latest threads

Top Bottom