Ordinary bird Id please?

Discussion in 'Birds' started by lowlight_junkie, Dec 30, 2005.

1. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Can anyone ID this British bird for me? I know its nothing fancy but I liked it and it was very tame.
    [​IMG]

My daughter says it is and orange legged fat belly :)

2. Your daughter has a future in orinthology!
    looks like a song sparrow to me. nice shot

3. Tordenmulen

Tordenmulen Guest

Hi - the bird is a Meadow Pipit (Anthus pratensis), probably the most common pipit in Europe.

Peter

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That is a nice image and birdie.. Love your daughters ID :>))

Sounds better than mine. These guys all look like sparrows to me...lol

So I see you have the real ID here :>))

5. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Thanks Dave and Peter, much appreciated. Gale my daughter is nuts, she names my bait for fishing (dead sandeels a small frozen fish) when she was younger she walked around with a frozen sandeel in a cup as a pet. She called it Marky and was very upset when we had to take it off her! We had the full funeral in the garden and everything. Luckily she never opened my bait freezer, there are around 300 frozen at any one time in there! That would have been a long day if grave digging!

6. Sorry my ID was obviously wrong. did not know the region and did not look carefully at the beak and eyes. Thanks Peter for the correct info.
    LOL at your daughter Chaz.
    Dave

7. It would really help if you had said where the bird was photographed. If it was in North America then it is an American Pipit (formerly Water Pipit). If it was photographed in Europe, then you'll have to go with Peter's ID.

Cheers

Tim

8. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005

LOL I did Tim

Can anyone ID this British bird :)

9. OMG, it's right there in the first line and I didn't even see that :redface: Sorry about that. Yup, Peter has the ID for this one. :biggrin:

Good shot as they are pretty tough birds to get close to around here.

Cheers
    Tim

10. Tordenmulen

Tordenmulen Guest

Hi Tim - even if the pipit was photographed in North America it would still be a Meadow Pipit ;-), but very rare. Pipits are often difficult to ID, but Chaz's photo nicely show all characteristics of the Meadow Pipit, eg. olivegreen and striped upperside, pale orange legs and long hindclaw. The American Pipit (Anthus rubescens) is more drab greyish, less striped on the back, has dark legs and a rather short hindclaw.

Happy Newyear to all

Peter