1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Oregon Painted Hills - July 19th / others?

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by FisherPete, Jul 15, 2008.

1. FisherPete

FisherPete

Nov 13, 2007
    Oregon
    I'm going to visit the Painted Hills in Oregon's John Day Fossil Beds National Monument on Saturday morning. There's been a large forest fire to the north on Mt. Adams, so the sky and sunrise should be extra colorful. I'm planning on visiting the ghost town of Shaniko also and will be on the move to keep my 8 year old from getting too bored. If it sounds interesting and you might be interested in saying hi, drop me a note!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2008
  2. FisherPete

FisherPete

Nov 13, 2007
    Oregon
    Man, was that fun!

071908_01a.

071908_31a.

3. Wow--that is greener than I though it would be this time of year! Wow, those are great pictures.

My son and I were tempted to join you, but our timing was off--we both had prior commitments. But we may look at going over ourselves soon. Any recommendations for places to go,times etc.will be very much appreciated!

4. FisherPete

FisherPete

Nov 13, 2007
    Oregon
    There's a lot of irrigation in the valley, so there are still some spots of green. The entire park unit is small enough to cover it in a morning. I'd avoid afternoons as the hills will be in shade. The nearest town is Mitchell, which has a beautiful, quaint hotel called Hotel Oregon. However, there is no gasoline in the area, so make sure to fill up in John Day. There are ghost towns and ghost settlements scattered throughout the area. Next time I'll plan to visit some of those. The road from Mitchell north to Fossil is absolutely classic two-lane rural road. Some classic American-kitch scattered all around!
    071908_40a.

5. Thanks Pete. Will stay in touch.

6. Wish I could have gone, I am going to head down there this year sometime.

7. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    The last time my son and I went that way we made it to Antelope and Shaniko. I would like to make it to the painted hills and the fossil beds. Shaniko was a disappointment, but the outlying area is beautiful.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.