Oregon travel advice, please.

Thanks, Bob. That waterfall photo is spectacular - do you know where the waterfall is? And thanks for the other interesting photos.

Ft. Clatsop is on the list as I am a real Lewis & Clark fan.

Hi Jim,

That is Palouse Falls. It about 40 miles almost due north of Walla Walla, Washington. It has a drop of about 200 feet and the canyon is about 375 feet deep from the overlook. It is believed to have been created in a very short time during the Bretz Floods in the last ice age.

If you are crazy, it holds the record for going over it in a kayak:eek:

There are lots of Lewis and Clark sites all along the Columbia River.

Bob & Nan

Hi Jim,

That is Palouse Falls. It about 40 miles almost due north of Walla Walla, Washington. It has a drop of about 200 feet and the canyon is about 375 feet deep from the overlook. It is believed to have been created in a very short time during the Bretz Floods in the last ice age.

If you are crazy, it holds the record for going over it in a kayak:eek:

There are lots of Lewis and Clark sites all along the Columbia River.

Bob & Nan

Thanks, Bob. I certainly have heard fo Palouse Falls. And I remember the video someone here posted the link to a couple of months ago of that kayak record being set.

The shot of the falls in the fall is Multnomah Falls. There are also lots of other falls in the area of the Gorge which makes the drive really nice especially in the fall.

Ft. Clatsop is on the list as I am a real Lewis & Clark fan.

There's an interesting book by Dayton Duncan (I think it's called "Out West") which recounts his retracing the route of Lewis and Clark in the 1980's. In the book, he refers frequently to the route signs showing "Lewis (or is it Clark) pointing the way". I still chuckle whenever I see one of those signs.

BTW, the ship wreck on Clatsop beach is the Peter Iredale ... it's still there, though the sands shift to cover and uncover parts of it.

Be sure to bring lots of caddis variations for the Deschutes. But in the evenings, you'll want a Boxcar or GBS or purple flash and a reel with lots of backing for the steelhead. (I guided there in the '80's)

Be sure to bring lots of caddis variations for the Deschutes. But in the evenings, you'll want a Boxcar or GBS or purple flash and a reel with lots of backing for the steelhead. (I guided there in the '80's)

Thanks, Pete. I'll be fishing with a guide for two days on the Deschutes but also hope to do some fishing on my own. Do you have specific patterns and sizes of caddis to recommend?

I'm a bit afraid of the steelhead! I've never fished for them before and wasn't planning on bringing a rod heavier than a 7 wt. My main target is the rainbows.

I like elk hair caddis in a variety of sizes, mostly dark brown. Your guide will probably have some good suggestions. A 7 weight will cover steelhead if you've got sufficient backing ... they're just big trout - - with attitude.

DN_01.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DN_10.jpg

Real Name
Rodney
It's only about an hour south of Portland, but I do understand being on a schedule. Plenty of nice falls in the gorge, however!

How 'bout Silverton? It's not all about the Mayor.

3819017943_70525016ec_b.jpg

3819836742_a4748aaace_b.jpg

3819034619_94ea5a0ce9_b.jpg

Where else can you park for a penny?
3819828448_caafa6096f_b.jpg

What is there to see and do in the Portland Area? We have a rental and will be there Aug. 22-25.

Any ideas?

(sorry to threadjack)

From the portland area you can head out to the gorge. It is a beautiful drive and has a few great waterfalls and spots you can walk through into the hills etc

Silverton... being from the portland area I don't believe you would want to stop by Silverton. Especially if you have the option of going to the beach, the gorge, or just hanging out in downtown portland.

Make sure you visiting the fishing fleet area in Astoria. Lots of Sea Lions and Turns and other birds this time of year.

Multnomah falls or a short hike in the area is a must (Horseshoe falls is a great scenic view right before MF.

Vista House will give you a great george view if its not hazy.

Oregon and Washington have a lot of great views....go to the Pidock (sp?) museum for a great shot of the city and Mt. Hood in Portland.

Take the walk along the river by "OMSI" oregon museum of science and industry - great city and bridge images.

Latest threads

Top Bottom