Oregon wineries

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Philippe Roger, Sep 18, 2005.

1. A couple of weeks ago, we went to Oregon for some R&R with local friends, and hit the wineries, near Dundee, south of Portland.

This one is special, to me: Drouhin is a well known family in Burgundy, France, who was one of the first to establish a Pinot Noir growth in Oregon. The wine is good, but I think too pricey (much more expensive than their counterpart in France, actually...).

[​IMG]

On top of the hill, the back view
    [​IMG]

The tasting room
    [​IMG]

This is Domaine Serene, right next door, a really nice property with good wines.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The interior is reminiscent of a mansion
    [​IMG]

Nothing better than enjoying wine in good company, is there? Apart from sharing pictures at the Cafe, of course! :smile:
    [​IMG]

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2005
  2. Very nice looking place. I hope the pinot noir were good, Oregon is supposed to be the place in the States that grow the best of the pinot noir because of the climate. The pinot noir wines are a little tricky to buy, they can be the best or the worst of wine depending on the producer.

3. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Philippe, very neat series number three is outstanding great use of light

4. Nice looking wineries. They are always a fun place to eat.

5. Agreed Gilles. Yes, the Pinot Noir is a vine that needs to struggle a bit to deliver its best: it's the same in Bourgogne/Burgundy. There are some nice Pinot Noir wines in California as well (Santa Cruz mountains for example, or Carneros area, south of Napa), and in the state Washington. For an interesting wine tasting trip with lots of variety, including Pinot Noir, I recommend Walla-Walla, WA.

The sad thing about Pinot Noir is that a movie (Sideways) has single endedly caused the prices to rise, due to an increased demand. I was quite happy to enjoy them when the crowds were being marketed Cabs. I guess, I still have Merlot, huh? :wink: :biggrin:

6. Thanks Hans. Most appreciated, from a light afficionado like yourself. :smile:

7. Yes they are, although in this case, it was just wine tasting... unless the crackers count as a meal! :eek: :smile:

8. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Pretty images. Very interesting. I did not not that redwine were produced in Oregon. Being fond of redwine myself I have tasted redwine from most places but never Oregon. With the Pinot Noir grape does it tast like a Burgondy?

9. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Philippe,
    I also really like No. 3. Not only is the lighting interesting, but the longer you look at it, the more you discover it contains. I especially like the view through the window.

Mike

10. Thanks for looking and commenting Torben and Mike. My favorite of that bunch is also #3 for all the reasons you stated.

As for the Oregon wines, they may be a little more "earthy" and perhaps a bit less sophisticated than some Bourgognes from Burgundy, but they do have quite a bit of character on their own, and are very enjoyable. To be honest, I wouldn't be able to pick one provenance over the other in a blind test, with a suitable assortment: I mean there are some higher-end and lower-end wines on both continents, and it's quite unfair to compare a 12 year old, mature Chevray-Chambertain, with a young 3 year old "generic" pinot noir. However, when they ask the same amount of money for both (eg $55 a bottle), one can legitimately wonder... I am not saying that all the Oregonian Pinot Noir is sold at this price (or more), there are certainly some good deals to be had for half that much, or less! :biggrin:

All, in my humble opinion of course: feel free to disagree.

11. jb007

jb007 Guest

Nice photos although sadly i'm not a fan of American wines which taste so different to the ones i like so it's probably an aquired taste or you get accustomed to it or something? Not sure why everyone like 3rd so much i prefer the last as it captures what the trip was about nicely.