Organizing your online gallery

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FotoPhocus, Jul 18, 2008.

1. FotoPhocus

FotoPhocus

Jun 15, 2008
    I'm getting my online gallery together, weeding out shots and getting good older ones up there, and I'm running across a problem -- photos that could belong in more than one of the categories I have set up!

For example, one of my categories is People - under which I have galleries called Portraits and Candids. Another is called Events, under which I put pictures from a parade that I shot at. The problem is that quite a few of the parade shots would fall under the Candid gallery as well.

Would you duplicate those images so you could put them under both categories? Or is there a better way to organize them so they'd fit better under general categories?

Here's a link to my SmugMug, hopefully someone has some time to dig through and give me some good suggestions.

http://rhernals.smugmug.com

Thanks!

2. Ryan,

I'm a Smugmug user too. For what you are describing, you have two choices. First, you could have duplicate copies of the same image in various galleries. Second (my preferred method) is to use keywords and using these keywords to create "virtual galleries." You will need to put code in your customization page but it's fairly simple. I believe you need to have at least a midlevel account to do this customization (not 100% sure about this). I would recommend a visit to dgrin.com where you will find all sorts of help and support to do any customization you want to do on your site.

3. FotoPhocus

FotoPhocus

Jun 15, 2008
    Thanks for the tip. If I do that, will it create a virtual gallery for every keyword I use? Also, would it let me create the virtual galleries within categories?

At this point, I'm leaning towards creating a category called "People & Events", and having galleries called "Uncategorized Portraits" and "Uncategorized Candids" where the misc pics that don't warrant their own gallary would go, and then galleries for each event I shoot at. That seems to be the easiest way to go about it, and when I direct people to my portfolio I can let them know to look in all the galleries in that category.

4. There's a function in smugmug that already creates a virtual gallery of any keyword you use. Your site doesn't show the keywords though (you've probably not enabled it or you don't have any keywords yet).

Yes. In my site (jerricramos.smugmug.com), all the galleries under "my favorite photos" are virtual galleries. What you do is create an actual gallery and then redirect to your keyword virtual gallery.

I am NOT an expert on this, but here's the code I use in the Header area of your customize page. I have to repeat I am NOT an expert in this so I cannot help with debugging if you get stuck. The dgrin folks are very helpful though.

<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript">
    var galleryRedirectTable =
    {
    xxxxxxx: "http://www.rhernals.smugmug.com/keyword/{your actual keyword01}-favorites",
    yyyyyyy : "http://www.rhernals.smugmug.com/keyword/{your actual keyword01}-favorites"
    };

function CheckRedirects() {
    // take out "//" at left if you want to modify virtual galleries if (! YD.hasClass(document.body, 'loggedIn'))
    {
    // get the path from the current URL,
    // convert it to lowercase and remove the leading slash
    var re = /gallery\/(\d+)/;
    var path = ""; //window.location.pathname.toLowerCase().substr(9);

if (re.test(window.location.pathname)) {
    re.exec(window.location.pathname);
    path = RegExp.$1;
    }

var newURL = galleryRedirectTable[path]; // look it up in our table

// if we found it in the table && newURL is different than where we are
    if (newURL && (newURL != window.location))
    {
    window.location.replace(newURL); // go to the new URL
    }
    }
    }

CheckRedirects();
    </script>

In the first section, let's say "chicago" was one of your keywords, and the actual gallery you created is 1234567, you would have this:
    1234567: "http://www.rhernals.smugmug.com/keyword/chicago-favorites",

The second part "function CheckRedirects()" I just copied/pasted from the dgrin forum.

I hope this helps.

5. FotoPhocus

FotoPhocus

Jun 15, 2008
    Thanks. I'm going through and adding keywords now. Do I have to have them displayed below the image in order for the Virtual Galleries to work?

I wasn't going to pay for a Power User account, but if I can get this working, it would be worth it (I'm on my trial right now)

6. Don't confuse keywords with captions. Captions (or titles) will show up below your image. Keywords will not show up anywhere on your image.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.