Original NEFs - 18-200 vs 17-55

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by txbonds, Jan 7, 2006.

1. txbonds

txbonds

Dec 10, 2005
    Florida
    For those that asked and wanted the original files, here is a link to all 14 original full size NEF's to compare. Each shot is paired side by side with the shot from the counter lens.

The NEF's are about 15mb each, so be very patient in downloading them. Took me about 3.5 hours to get them all uploaded this morning.

I think you will find that the 18-200vr did very well, but does show some slight softness in the frame corners and edges compared to the 17-55dx, and that the 17-55dx has ever so slightly better color, tone and saturation. Maybe not enough to justify the cost difference, or maybe it is. I will be doing more test shooting, but hope these initial real world shots help someone else. Enjoy!

http://users.grevture.com/~txbonds

A big Thank you to Martin (Grevture on dpreview) for providing the webspace. (He asked that I inform you that the server might be a little slow if everyone downloads at once, so please be patient)

2. txbonds

txbonds

Dec 10, 2005
    Florida
    I updated the index page with this, but:

Right click on the link and then choose "save target as" and it will bring up the download box.

3. lpcd2001

lpcd2001 Guest

I downloaded the first two NEFs. Yes, it took patience. But then NC or Bibble could get any details out of it. It was just blank!!!

Could you zip them up, send it to me via www.yousendit.com? I will see if I could host the full resolution photos on my pbase. This time, I will mix-and-match pairs (in one pair, A is 17-55 and in another pair A is 18-200). If people can easily tell the difference with high rate (say better than 90%), then the difference is not negligent. Thanks.

4. txbonds

txbonds

Dec 10, 2005
    Florida
    I'll try it. Let me get them zipped and see how it goes. It will take me a little bit, but will post again when they are sent.

5. txbonds

txbonds

Dec 10, 2005
    Florida
    It says it's sending now.

6. txbonds

txbonds

Dec 10, 2005
    Florida
    PS - file is 388 meg, so it might take a while. :)

7. Thanks TX for taking the time to upload them. Appreciate it very much.

8. txbonds

txbonds

Dec 10, 2005
    Florida
    no problem. If anyone else wants the 388 meg zip file, let me know.

9. txbonds

txbonds

Dec 10, 2005
    Florida
    File still downloading as far as I can tell. I'm running on a pretty fast cable modem too. :eek:

10. txbonds

txbonds

Dec 10, 2005
    Florida
    Well, after running for almost the last 3.5 hours, the download just crashed. Not sure if anything usable came through or not. Let me know, but I don't think I want to spend another 3+ hours sending it again.

11. lpcd2001

lpcd2001 Guest

I successfully downloaded the NEFs. W/o the photos next to each other, it would be hard to tell which one by 17-55mm and which one by 18-200mm. However, I think the test photos were not in a controlled environment. Some were taken 20 minutes apart, hence having different WB. Some were with different aperture. This type of test is hard and that's why we need pro reviewers like Bjorn. Nevertheless, for a general purpose and walk around lens around kids, this 18-200mm could be a keeper, I think. YMMV :)