Orland Park Library

I was desperate to photograph something, so I captured this image of my town's public library yesterday:

2021-02-23 library-7.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
It works! Nice composition. It made me feel the outside cold....and think of being warm and cozy inside the library with a good book! What a great resource for the community!

What an interesting looking building! Is the library actually open to the public these days or are they doing curbside pickup/online services only, the way many public library systems are doing now? My local library system closed during the shutdown, then provided curbside pickup, then eventually reopened with some restrictions, but then when the community began getting an increase in cases of COVID-19 again, they went back to curbside pickup and online services only. Patrons can return their items via the bookdrop, which is on the exterior of the building, and items are quarantined for seven days before being returned to the shelves. Patrons can call the library and request specific items to be put aside for them and then go over to the library, park in the parking lot, call the branch and a staff member will bring the item out in a plastic bag and set it on a table. Once the staff member has gone into the building again the patron can get out of his or her car and go retrieve the bag and take it home for happy reading.

It works! Nice composition. It made me feel the outside cold....and think of being warm and cozy inside the library with a good book! What a great resource for the community!
Thanks Karen,,,it is an impressive facility. I once secured a permit to photograph the interior as well.
What an interesting looking building! Is the library actually open to the public these days or are they doing curbside pickup/online services only, the way many public library systems are doing now? My local library system closed during the shutdown, then provided curbside pickup, then eventually reopened with some restrictions, but then when the community began getting an increase in cases of COVID-19 again, they went back to curbside pickup and online services only. Patrons can return their items via the bookdrop, which is on the exterior of the building, and items are quarantined for seven days before being returned to the shelves. Patrons can call the library and request specific items to be put aside for them and then go over to the library, park in the parking lot, call the branch and a staff member will bring the item out in a plastic bag and set it on a table. Once the staff member has gone into the building again the patron can get out of his or her car and go retrieve the bag and take it home for happy reading.
Thanks Connie...the library was closed during most of the pandemic. It opened again not long ago. I haven't been inside in quite a while, but I am assuming they are enforcing social distancing and limiting the number of visitors. I rarely enter the building as the last 30 or 40 books that I checked out were via Kindle. The library offers a vast number of books in digital format.

Glenn

Our library offers the opportunity to check out eBooks, too, to borrow but I am not a big fan of that. I'm old-fashioned and still like handling a REAL book!!! LOL!

During the brief time our library branches were open, yes, they enforced social distancing, with thingies on the floor to indicate where to stand, and they also did not offer the usual computers with public internet service, only a couple of computers were set up with the library catalog. People were to remain in the building no longer than 30 minutes, and yes, there was a limit on the number of people who could be in the facility at any one time. I would go in, return whatever I had, pick up any items for me on the Hold Shelf, then quickly browse through the New Books section, then check out my items using the self-checkout machine and be out of there within about ten or fifteen minutes. Most of the times I was there maybe there might have been one or two other patrons and that was it. I imagine that in another month or so once more people in the area have been vaccinated that they will once again open up the branch buildings to the public.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom