Orlando - not the parks

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by StephanieHelen, Aug 3, 2007.

1. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Hi, I wil be in Orlando, my daughter and friends will be at Islands of Adventure, so I would like to do something besides the parks.

Anyone visited the Sanford Zoo? I called the zoo, seems like all the cheetah, cougar etc are behind mesh. It's going to be a little bit hot too.

Any ideas besides the parks?

Thanks,
    Stephanie

2. * Nice Botanical Gardens.
    * 30 minutes or so away is Fantasy of Flight, Kermit Weeks Air Museum in Polk City (take I-4 toward Tampa)
    * Several state parks and ponds with birds
    * You can drive to Merritt Is. in the East Coast in an hour or so for great birding.

3. Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge: Even on a hot summer day, I've found birds to photograph. Bio-Lab Road and of course Black Point Wildlife Drive are favorites at the refuge.

4. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Thanks for the info!

Stephanie

5. 1.5 hour drive to St. Augustine. Really worth it -- fort, lots of other historical landmarks.

Lake Eola area downtown. Not much, but could be fun if nothing else to do and need to stay close to the city.

Sanford Zoo, not some much. Brevard Zoo is about 1.5 hours away and is much better.

Leu Gardens -- already mentioned, botanical gardens.

Mt. Dora - about 30 min from Orlando.

Barberville - pioneer settlement (Google it); about 30 miles north.

Silver Springs park.

If your stay is going to be somewhat extended, you may like this book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Hikes-Central...5416066?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186195657&sr=8-3

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    It is to hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to shoot outside past 10: AM...lol

Good time for shopping at a nice cool mall and a nice lunch.
    School clothes less the 6% sales tax for a limited time.

See ya at the launch

Time is now 6:32 PM

7. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    You're right Gale, it was too hot, I ended up indoors, sure that the kids would call around 1pm; before they left that morning for the park though they assured me they would be fine. They were tucked out by 2pm so I brought them back for a siesta :)

Hope to see you soon!

Stephanie

8. David D. Busch

David D. Busch

Apr 30, 2006
    Midwest
    I loved using Orlando as my base of operations in March, although I didn't shoot many pictures there, nor go to any of the theme parks. Instead, I bedded down each night in my $30 hotel room, then took off in the morning for destinations West, South, and East. Following the suggestions of the folks here, I visited the Viera Wetlands, Merritt Island, then headed down for Cleveland Indians spring training, and other sites.

St. Augustine was a little far for a commute, so I decamped for two nights from Orlando. The trolleys that run around the town proper are a real bargain, so I took a complete tour, with only a few stops for some architectural photography, then rode the circuit again for visits to places that had caught my eye the first time. I never did make it to the "tourist" street. Back downtown at night for some tripod work, then the next day at the alligator farm for some birding.

I'd hoped for some garish neon lights a la Vegas in Orlando, because I'd remembered a lot of tackiness from previous visits, but ended up not taking too many photos there (actually the Kissimmee area adjoining the theme parks) at all.

Dave