OS upgrades

Hi all, have a question regarding OS upgrades. I bought my first iMac in 2010 and my current OS is 10.6.8. I think that's Lion, but don't really know (or care about the name :biggrin:). Coming from a windows environment, upgrading OS's is something that smart windows users stay away from due to all the headaches that it brings. Back when the OS after mine was released, I remember reading about people having a slew of issues, so I didn't upgrade. Anyway, I think there have been two upgrades since mine and now Mavericks is coming out in the fall. Reasons I'm thinking of upgrading:

1. Required by LR5
2. Get current

Why I'm gunshy - My CS5 with plugins WORKS. No upgrades mean no worrying about compatibility. However, I'm thinking of going to CS6 as my last adobe purchase along with LR5. Adobe's CC can stick it where the sun doesn't shine, I'm not paying that.

Anyway, question - Are Apple's OSX upgrades pretty seamless? Does it retain all email settings, folders, safari bookmarks, and all those other settings you have in your current OS? Windows was pretty good about keeping most of this stuff. Also, does it keep your links to any NAS boxes you may have on your system or did you have to reinstall them?

Thanks for any answers,

John

I have always upgraded my Macs since getting one in 1987. The only time there was a large problem was when the original OS X came out. Since then I have not had any problems.

Thanks Allan. I come from the windows philosophy of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Apple upgrades are definitely not a price issue like windows, that's for sure. Do you happen to have a NAS mapped to your system?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
The main difference is that you might have an application that needs updating.

The rule is this:
- some old apps won't run on later OS versions (until updated)
- some newer apps won't run on old OS versions (e.g. Lightroom 5).

So you just need to check all your apps before upgrading the OS.

If you are very unlucky you can get in a position where no one version of the OS will run all your apps.

Network attached storage. I have all my images on a raid server for backup. It's mapped as an attached drive to my iMac.

The biggest problem that one can have is if your computer has been "orphaned" by Apple, as my 2007 Mac Pro has been.

Yeah I'm ok with my 2010 iMac with a core i7. I'm seriously contemplating a Haswell air as a portable device as it can run adobe software. That's what's bringing about this whole upgrade. I need a cheaper hobby :wink:

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Do you have any apps that require Rosetta to work? From what you've shared that is the only thing that would hold me back. The upgrade from 10.6.8 to the latest 10.8.4 is very seamless. Make sure you have one good backup of your OS disk, then take the plunge.

Do you have any apps that require Rosetta to work? From what you've shared that is the only thing that would hold me back. The upgrade from 10.6.8 to the latest 10.8.4 is very seamless. Make sure you have one good backup of your OS disk, then take the plunge.

No Rosetta here. Did you happen to have cs5 installed and no issues upon upgrade? Thanks for the input.

Why I'm gunshy - My CS5 with plugins WORKS. No upgrades mean no worrying about compatibility. However, I'm thinking of going to CS6 as my last adobe purchase along with LR5. Adobe's CC can stick it where the sun doesn't shine, I'm not paying that.

Anyway, question - Are Apple's OSX upgrades pretty seamless? Does it retain all email settings, folders, safari bookmarks, and all those other settings you have in your current OS? Windows was pretty good about keeping most of this stuff. Also, does it keep your links to any NAS boxes you may have on your system or did you have to reinstall them?

Upgrades were a little glitchy (meaning that sometimes the upgrades didn't install properly or needed to be reinstalled, or installed from a combo updater, in order to resolve problems) in 10.3 and 10.4, but have steadily improved. 10.7 and 10.8 have improved the process (although I did encounter problems with a thunderbolt firmware update on one of my systems).

By and large, each update generally keeps your settings (to the extent possible--the shift to iCloud in 10.7 will require that you re-enter some information). If anything, you may be required to allow the updated app to access the credential information in your keychain, but otherwise, the updates should be seamless. Links to NAS devices should remain unchanged. I have not used CS5 recently, but it was running under 10.8 without a problem.

These days, I'll wait a few days after the update becomes available to see if there is any significant problem introduced by the update. If there are no significant problems, I'll update one system and test key apps. If everything looks good, I'll update the rest of the systems as quickly as possible to ensure that everything is running on the same platform.

Well, it's done and things appear to be working. For the life of me a program disappeared and I can't find it. I had a firewall program that I had purchased and I don't see it anywhere. It didn't autostart and i can't find it in my applications. it's like it up and disappeared. I'll have to dig to see if I can find what it was. Very strange.

Okay, got that fixed. So far I see no issues (whew!)

Question - I'm going to upgrade to LR5 and CS6. I actually have LR4 and LR3 still installed. How do I remove LR3? Windows had an uninstaller. Do I just drag it from the applications folder to the trash? Will that have any effect on anything else?

Well, it's done and things appear to be working. For the life of me a program disappeared and I can't find it. I had a firewall program that I had purchased and I don't see it anywhere. It didn't autostart and i can't find it in my applications. it's like it up and disappeared. I'll have to dig to see if I can find what it was. Very strange.

Okay, got that fixed. So far I see no issues (whew!)

Glad you posted this, John. I am about to do the same upgrade on my late 2009 iMac and I was asking almost all the same questions last week in this thread. Your experience gives me a bit more confidence. Maybe today is the day, as I have nothing else pressing to do.

Do you have any suggestions for me before I start?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have any suggestions for me before I start?
1. ensure backup(s) is(are) current
2. repair permissions before installing
3. repair permissions after installing

I picked up the pre/post installation permissions repair habit during the time Aperture was having random quirkiness, and have continued on (when I remember :redface:)

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom