Oscar Octopus

This octopus weighs 6.5 pounds (3 kg) but I was told by the vendor that about a month from now most of them they receive will weigh about 50% more. The tentacles are 27" (2/3 meter) long. For more context, the pan displayed in both photos is a 10" skillet.

The nice thing about an octopus that has been cleaned as this one has is that about 99% of it is edible; the only parts I don't eat are the beak and mouth, which weigh no more than an ounce. This octopus will provide my wife and me four meals, the first of which will be tonight's supper -- a classic Greek salad with large chunks of tender, flavorful octopus throughout it.

Mike 2021-06-08--0002-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo of the Setup
The tabletop is a vinyl floor tile. The reflector brightened the shadow where the tentacle is falling out of the pan. (Yes, without the reflector that area would have been even darker than displayed in the first photo.) Fifteen focus-bracketed images at Nikon step size 3 were stacked in Helicon Focus at its default settings.
Mike 2021-06-08--0003-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Real Name
Dan
Mike, you have a knack for finding interesting compositions for your table top art. I really like the way you have the tentacle spilling out of the plate/bowl. Nicely done.

That's a fair sized critter. I could turn it into a couple hundred pounds of halibut filets :) We're done with shrimp season and didn't score any octopi this year :(

Very nice composition and lighting Mike. Did you blur the end of the tentacle with PP or was it DOF? I can't see the same intense blur on the octopus in the pan, that's why I asked.

Did you blur the end of the tentacle with PP or was it DOF? I can't see the same intense blur on the octopus in the pan, that's why I asked.

Good eye, Binnur (as always!). The end of the tentacle is farther away from the lens than anything in the pan, so it is blurred more entirely as a result of optics, not post-processing. Unfortunately, no matter what we do to make a photo appear three-dimensional, it is two-dimensional and doesn't always convey depth as much as we would like.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom