Oshkosh disaster.....

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by GBRandy, Aug 3, 2008.

1. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Many of you know I am a pilot and the annual EAA Airventure event is a big deal as it is 45 minutes south of my house. Normally I attend this event with my father and we look over all things new and exciting in the world of aircraft, avionics and all other things flying related.

My wife and daughter will attend the airshow portion if the weather is just so....but it is a rare occurrence.

So THIS year my father was out of town...weather was too hot for the airshow and I was able to get things tidied up on Friday to bug out at noon..... I was going to the show solo...so I grabbed the gear... 300 f2.8, 700-210, 24-70, 12-24 1.4 converter, tripod and the ugly Canon MKIIn.

Now...if you are still with me...this story begins to take on a twist. Arriving at Oshkosh afternoon means parking a mile away. So I lugged all my gear in despite the 87 degree temps. I pay my fees and head on in. It is hot and I am sweating.

But wait....I now recall that that I had collected a dust bunny on my sensor earlier in the week. So I sit down at a table and get out the bulb blaster to clean off the sensor quick.

I remove the lens, set the camera to sensor cleaning and open the shutter. I blast and take a look inside to see how I did....as I peer into the exposed sensor a small bead of sweat drops from my forehead directly onto the sensor....splat....damn. That's not good.

Here is what it looks like:

[​IMG]

So my day was a downer before it started. I decided to shoot just a few images as I knew the images would be toast....and get home early enough to clean up the sensor and go out to dinner.....

Below was my best attempt to keep the F stop wide open and minimize the effect of my biological experiment growing on my sensor.....so no comments on the bugger on the images please....wait until next year!

I really want one of these....or a Citation 500SP.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The air race simulation was fun....
    [​IMG]

...I should have used my tripod.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the end I cleaned up the sensor and am ready to try again........
    [​IMG]

Things I learned from my first trip to EAA as photograhper....

1. Bring your cleaning stuff :)
    2. I need a lightweight graphite tripod.
    3. A Wimberly head and sidekick stuff may be required as well.
    4. An upgrade to the IS version of the 300 f2.8 will be a requirement.
    5. I need to research the Auto ISO feature. Getting good prop blur means 1/250 and I like to control the DOF....so the only float left is the ISO.
    6. Be glad it was only a 45 minute drive and not a trip from around the world. I met a guy from New Zealand and one from England......photogs are pretty friendly folks...usually.

So there you have it...my write up of a very tough day at Oshkosh.......

2. great shots, randy
    i guess your sweat isn't as sexy as you thought... :tongue:

3. TippCity

TippCity Guest

I feel your pain

What a day.
    We just had the Dayton Air Show last weekend here in Ohio.

I have found that cleaning dust bunnies in the field works best if you hold the camera upside down. The bunnies fall down and out. Then I also look at the sensor with the camera held above my head. This tip came from a friend that did the exact same thing as you. Sweat droplet to the sensor. Lucily he had a backup D70 with him at the time.

By the way excellent snaps of the airshow....Even with the sensor problem.

4. I'm glad to hear it wasn't the sort of disaster that came to mind when reading the title of the thread.

5. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Ah yes....I guess I never put in that context.....nothing bent, nothing broken, nothing lost but my pride :)

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    In a word.....OUCH. Sorry to hear the bad news, but it sure could have been worse.

7. Nikhe

Nikhe

Oct 8, 2006
    Sweden
    Really nice set, #7 is a very cool shot!