1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Osprey Action

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Jim Strathearn, Mar 23, 2007.

1. A friend of mine gave me directions to an Osprey nest near where she works. She told me that they are becoming active lately and boy was she right! Although I was disappointed in the quality of the images I came home with, I did like the composition of most of them. This is because they were very active. Not only that, but what started out as a pair evolved into 6 mature Osprey all flying around, dodging each other, etc. I got to observe the male of the nest flying very high and hovering, fish in talons, calling and calling, then coming down to be romantic. I saw the female gathering branches and grasses for the nest, etc. All in all, it was a hugely productive day for me as far as observing these guys. Although I did get one shot of another Osprey last week, this is the first time I ever went out specifically to photograph them and other then the image sharpness, I have no complaints. (Getting the focus with the "P" lens is going to take some prtactice...) Hopefully I'll get some better quality shots as time goes by, but I am excited about watching these guys and wanted to share a few of the shots I got today... D2H, 500 f/4 P, TC16a.

137879982-L.

137864623-L.

137947952-L.

137879657-L.

He struggled with this fish. It was still alive when he came back with it. He landed on a power line pole and every time the fish flapped it's tail, he had to spread his wings for balance...
    137879508-L.

137864554-L.

Let me know what you do to get the sharpest images of BIF. I had pretty good luck with the Tundra swans but did poorly today. (But for a "poor" day, I was very please with the opportunity!) :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2007
  2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jim,

I think that these shots are pretty good. They look decently sharp to me. Were you using your 'magic' TC? As to behavior, you certainly did get some excellent opportunities. Looks to me like you had a wonderful day. Wish I could have been there with you. :smile:

3. Nice shots Jim! These were shot a 50mm lens?

Anthony

4. In my dreams! I corrected the lens info... Shot w/the 500mm P lens with the 1.6a TC.

5. Thanks Frank. Yup, I used the "magic" TC for sure. I think it does OK for BIF when they are flying parallel to me. But when they are coming at me, I still need to adjust the focus collar to get in the ballpark.

6. Great series, Jim. And looks very sharp to me.

7. Really nice series Jim

They look sharp here

8. Great shots Jim!!

I think gizzard shad exist only to feed winter eagles and early spring osprey in the mid-atlantic!

Best regards,

9. tomj

tomj

Feb 5, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Very nice shots indeed.

Regards,

10. Very nice set Jim. And they look plenty sharp to me. You caught some good action at the nest.

Louie

11. lilaphoto

lilaphoto Guest

Great pictures! What an opportunity!

12. Very nice series - good to see so much action!

13. Hey Pal want to share the secret spot?????? Great shots

14. Thanks Phil. I just wish I could see some better feather detail...

Thanks Gary.

LOL! I'd have to agree Sean!

Thanks Tom.

Thanks Louie. I was in my glory watching these guys. Too bad it's been raining ever since!

15. Thanks! I was very fortunate to have such great timing. Sometimes luck does swing my way I guess! :wink:

Thanks Sandi. I was very fortunate to be there during all this.

Thanks Mike. Pick a morning and I'll send you some directions. You'll have to leave real early. This nest is about an hour south of Conowingo.

16. sclamb

sclamb

Jan 2, 2007
    London
    Jim

These look great! You certainly did have a great day with the action shots and the osprey bringing home the food. They look sharp on my monitor too.

17. Looks spankin' sharp to me, you're definitely tracking well on the right area of the bird making for a great pic.

18. Thanks Simon. I couldn't believe the size of that one fish... :eek: 

Thanks Thomas!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.