Osprey and a Caracara

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Scott, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Taken at Viera Wetlands this past Sunday. For some reason, birds that I haven't been fortunate enough to see there before were in abundance. I really like Ospreys so you can imagine my delight when I came upon this guy

[​IMG]

I only got a couple of shots off before he took off. This was one of those lucky moments and perfect (accidental :wink: ) timing. I didn't even realize exactly what I had till I got home and viewed it.
    [​IMG]

This shot may be the same bird but was taken later from a different location. This began a series of shots that I may end up posting. Not for their individual merit but for something I found interesting with the focusing of the D2x. Anyway, here's a head on shot.
    [​IMG]

Back at the tree, with fish in his right talon (which is where he was going in the previous shot), he was doing this strange wing dance. I was waiting to see if he'd eat the head off first, like was discussed in the other thread, but he didn't. He stayed in this tree for at least an hour or longer.
    [​IMG]

And my in-flight Caracara shot that I forgot to post in my Caracara thread. I got 2 shots similar to this one. Thought it was kinda neat. [​IMG]

2. Nice series, Kevin. Don't you just love those 'lucky moments'. :) :) I really like the wing dance shot - kind of interesting behaviour.

3. Remember you got to be good to be lucky, nice series, well done!!

4. Thanks Dennis. I love those lucky moments....just wish there were more of them. Now I'm going to have to start aiming towards "flip" shots since Frank has posted his cool ones! :)

Not sure what was up with the wings flapping strangely. It was breezy but he was sitting still for a long time previously. This wing flapping lasted a few minutes. Strange.

5. Hey, at this stage in the game, I'll take 'em any way I can get 'em! :) Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

6. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Very nice series, busy looking for an Osprey around my area, no luck yet :cry:

Yours make me wanna look even harder :)

7. Thanks Ben. Your luck sounds like mine. This past week I've seen them sitting on the light posts on the freeway for many days. Today I bring my camera with me and plan to stop and nada! >:|