Osprey fishing and eating

Discussion in 'Birds' started by james thiel, Jun 28, 2005.

1. This is my second day seeing the osprey. These were from a local bay on Lake Washington near Seattle. I have never seen an Osprey sitting on this perch before. The day was overcast so the light was not great. What a treat. This osprey sat for almost two hours. It then left the perch it was sitting on and made a pass over the lake, grabbed a fish and then returned to its perch. After another hour it started chirping. Another osprey entered the area and tried to replace this one on the perch. They then soared around the lake together for a while and then one returned to the perch. There was a lot of waiting for a little action but boy it was fun to see. These again were all shot with the D100 Sigma 500f4.5 and Nikon Tc14EII. I sure wish I had not clipped the wings of the two osprey's together. Also I used too shallow of DOF on the one of the two together as I was wanting a faster shutter speed and was not anticipating there would be two birds in the frame. Things I will try to improve on in the future.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice series Jim. You will find that shooting birds, especially raptors like Osprey and Eagles, develops patience like almost no other hobby. ;-)

Looks like one has some fishing line wrapped around his leg. I hope it doesn't harm him. :?

3. Jim

That is a nice series of images.

Russ

4. Thanks Frank and Russ. I am lucky that I have patience for sure. But these guys pushed my patience to the limit this time. Frank I think this was a piece of plant at least I hope it was.

5. These are Great shots James! Juanita Bay?

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I think these are excellent..

Good job.

Thanks for sharing

7. Thanks Gale and Andreas. Yes, these were from my favorite spot, Juanita Bay. The osprey has started showing up with more regularity from what I have been told. When you come down next Andreas, it may be worth a stop by. Let me know if you do. I am really leaning more and more to getting the D2x. The D100 is pretty slow in acquiring focus. Thanks for looking and commenting.

8. Great captures Jim. Very nice series, very well done. Thanx for sharing.

9. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Well done, really well done

10. Thanks Yanni and Ben for your kind words and for looking. I am hoping to see some more of these fine birds over the fourth.