Osprey from May 22

Discussion in 'Birds' started by eng45ine, May 22, 2007.

1. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nick (Gluwater) and I headed out to the Osprey roost at 6am this morning, we had a great outing. Here's one that I thought I'd share. Taken with a D2H, 300mm VR and 1.4x TC (handheld).

2. Very nice shot Frank. I'mm always amazed at how well that 300mm VR performs.

Louie

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Louie, I have to agree, the 300mm VR is amazing. No loss of performance with the TC added either. Thanks for taking a peek and commenting.

4. Very pretty Frank!

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thank you Frits, we had a great time and I am really pleased to have something to share with everyone.

6. GREAT shot Frank

Glad you went back, thanks for sharing

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Gary...oh yeah, these Osprey are a wonderful find. I sure don't plan to make their lives miserable, my only desire is to capture their beauty. A thirty minute visit now and then shouldn't be too intrusive.:wink:

8. Actually I have found they tolerate quite a bit in fact many are located in busy areas in stadium lights

9. rdrakesh

rdrakesh Guest

Lovely one Frank. And I like that stare !

10. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Glad I'm not a fish:)

Nice image.

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful shot Frank
    Way to go

12. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate that you checked this guy out and commented.

13. WOW, Frank! Thanks for alerting me to this beauty! They've spotted ospreys at Hagerman too, but so far, I haven't seen one. That's a nice lens you have too - I didn't know there was a VR version of the 300! Keep em comin!

14. Sweet shot Frank. Boy...you are brave. Getting up that early and then shooting with wild man Nick. *-) I may visit Illinoizzzz this summer. Might have to look you Illini photogs up. Have family there still. I wasn't able to convince them to move to Paradise. :)

15. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Dianne, yep, Nikon is offering VR on their newest 300mm lens. I haven't used the VR option much, since 99% of my shooting is at a shutter speed well about 1/400th second.

Nick is an outstanding birder and we enjoy shooting with one another. I am amazed that he was functioning as well as he was on only one hour sleep. Let us know when you are visiting Illinois so we can put out the welcome mat.

16. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Uh oh Frank, looks like you are officially hooked on birds now! Suweeeet shot!

17. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Andy, yep...I really enjoy photographing birds. There are so many prolific birders on the Cafe, it is difficult to not give it a try. I sure wish I had a couple of hundred more milimeters!!!

18. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Amazing shot, Frank, and the quote left above amazes me. Now that I have my 120-300, I can not imagine even trying to get a decent shot handheld, so that makes your image that much more impressive!

19. Great capture Frank....where did ya find a roost in our neck of the woods!