Osprey harassing a vulture

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Baxter, May 11, 2007.

1. Baxter

Baxter

Jan 8, 2007
    Clemson, SC
    The osprey in these photos dive-bombed this vulture at least 10 times. The vulture never flew away and the osprey eventually gave up. Way too far away to get a good shot, but it was interesting behavior to document. I've seen this osprey chasing vultures in the air as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow
    can't say I have ever seen an Osprey chasing anything...

3. Really? I see them chase pelicans almost dailey. They HATE pelicans. Any time a pelican gets within 50 yards of the nesting sites...they send up an intercept. Get within 10 yards and the pelican gets dive bombed. It's an exciting event to view. Have a few shots of the dive bombing runs. The pelicans do not strike me as being very smart. It takes about 4-6 attempts on their lives before they figure they shoujld fly off. :biggrin:

4. Hi Gale, My osprey's chase every bird that get too close to their nest! Nice catch Hunter...wonder if that bird is hurt or something?

Anthony

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow
    Guess not to much flys close to the osprey nest at my corner
    I have seen the chase the babies off after it is time for them to go on thier own way , but no aggressive behavior with the talons.
    Only saw it once at another nest a couple years ago.
    Interesting.
    Thanks for the info

6. I've also seen the "locals" chase other ospreys...and have shots of a pair of ospreys chasing off an eagle. The amazing thing is the female osprey is LARGER than the adult bald eagle. Huge aggressive bird. Wouldn't want to mess with them.

7. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Nice behavior shot.